Page 1 of 2[12 Last

my favorite garden tool/book

Most Active Topic:
Member Message
Garden4Life
Posted: Mar/22/2009 8:58 PM PST

Anyone have a tool or book you get out year after year?
Want to share the title or resource?

I love my little booklet on companion planting - the
lady at thegardenscoop.com was giving them away.

Anyhow, it shows me exactly where to plant what - which
vegetables hate each other, which ones adore each other.
I can't even think of planting each year without pulling
that little booklet out and re-planning where to put things.
KeyWee blog photos
Posted: Mar/23/2009 3:36 AM PST

Well alrighty ~ I signed up for the little booklet you recommended. Hope they don't pile up my inbox with advertisements
I like the Kentucky Gardener's Guide by Denny McKeown, although it focuses on landscape gardening and not veggies. Also like to thumb through Kentucky Gardener magazine.
witt blog photos
Posted: Mar/23/2009 4:22 AM PST

Christmas I received The Carolinas: Gardeners Guide by Toby Bost and Jim Wilson (of PBS The Victory Garden fame). My son found it at Home Depot. I like it because it doesn't have things that won't do well in our gardening conditions. I have loads of gardening books, but those gorgeous things can't survive our heat, humidity, and other lousy conditions here at the Bucolic Bungalow.
willowdancer blog photos
Posted: Mar/23/2009 10:21 AM PST

My two all-time favorite reference books are Rodale's Encyclopedia of Organic gardening which has never let me down on providing at least enough information to whet my interest or give me a starting point, and The Bountiful Container by Rose Marie Nichols McGee and Maggie Stuckey. The Bountiful Container covers pot size, light requirements, and fertilizing for many vegetables, herbs, fruits, and edible flowers that can be grown in pots. This is my second year gardening in containers and this book has become my gardening bible. It also provides a wealth of insigt that proves valuable to beginners and quick reference recipes for organic pest control. much of the information in this book can be utilized for gardening in the ground as well as in containers, especially the pest control and fertilizing information.
Lastniceguy photos
Posted: Mar/23/2009 5:10 PM PST

My newest best place is right here! Other than that I do a lot of searches on the net that lead/link to another site, then another, then another and b4 I know it I never got out to the garden.
carolyncat353 blog photos
Posted: Mar/23/2009 6:19 PM PST

I have two. One, I got years ago when I worked at a nursery/christmas shop part time for a short time "The Southern Garden" by Ben Arthur Davis, and one my son gave me for Christmas a few years ago-"Month by Month Gardening in the South" by Don Hastings. I also get the monthly magazine Louisiana Gardener which is FULL of very useful information for my climate!
garden98011 blog photos
Posted: Mar/23/2009 8:07 PM PST

My workhorses: Sunset's Western Garden Book, my dear friend-Mosaic2007 & the internet~Andrea
cougar blog photos
Posted: Mar/25/2009 7:33 AM PST

My favorite book is Backyard Problem Solver by Jerry baker, it has everything* you could ever want to know on how to solve some common problems from everything to grass to trees, fruits, veggies, houseplants, I call it my bible. Other fav book is Horticulture Gardener's Desk Reference by Anne Halpin. My must have gardening tool is my Yard Butler, oh my goodness I cant live without that!
poeticpeony blog photos
Posted: Mar/25/2009 2:09 PM PST

I like my Better Homes and Gardens Complete Book of Gardening. I'd like my Square Foot Gardening book by Mel Bartholemew if I can ever figure out where the heck I put it! lol
MotherGoss blog photos
Posted: Mar/28/2009 10:00 AM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by willowdancer
My two all-time favorite reference books are Rodale's Encyclopedia of Organic gardening which has never let me down on providing at least enough information to whet my interest or give me a starting point, and The Bountiful Container by Rose Marie Nichols McGee and Maggie Stuckey. T

I have the Organic Gardening book also, and I love it! I can't wait to check out The Bountiful Container, as I intend to do half of my gardening in containers this year. Thank you for the suggestion!

I have a great book that I use all the time, called "Oklahoma Gardener's Guide." I picked it up at Border's on the bargain rack, and I certainly got my five dollars out of it!
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account