Page 1 of 1[1]

Is is OK to transplant irises & daylilies now?

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
dirtwitch blog
Posted: Mar/10/2009 9:56 PM PST

My iris and daylilies are beginning to pop up. I sure would like to move some as they are getting a little crowded now.

Is is alright to transplant them now before they bloom or do I need to wait until fall?

If I can transplant them should I use the bulb fertilizer when planting them in the new bed?

I would appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Jackie
witt blog photos
Posted: Mar/11/2009 3:38 AM PST

I would think that they would do just fine this time of year. Bulb booster couldn't hurt.
dragonknoll blog photos
Posted: Mar/13/2009 8:46 AM PST

I agree with Witt, I have transplanted Iris's and daylilies before the spring rains hit and they do just fine. The bulb booster shouldn't hurt, or a good layer of compost.
carolyncat353 blog photos
Posted: Mar/13/2009 10:32 AM PST

I think the only time you shouldn't move daylilies is the months of August (way too hot), and January (way too cold), here in the south, anyway. I don't think irises should be moved when they are blooming, but I'm not 100% sure about that!
dirtwitch blog
Posted: Mar/15/2009 12:00 PM PST

Thanks to all for the advice on moving my irises and daylilies!

Once this awful rain stops (seems like it has been coming down for weeks but it has only been a few days!) I can get out there and move these beauties!

Plus I am worried about the deer attacking those young iris shoots - they just about wiped them out last year but luckily they came right back!! I think I'll move them closer to the house this time.
GRDrip photos
Posted: Apr/07/2009 8:11 PM PST

Hello.

Hope your plants are well. In reference to your deer problem, I have a raccoon problem - any new plants are dug up for the soft dirt (I guess) and all the mulch is scattered. I got ground black pepper and sprinkled it everyshere that I did not want them. So far (2 weeks) i had worked. I also have ground red hot peppers in holding just in case. The bad part is you have to sprinkle it again after a rain. I can find this stuff at a dollar store and it doesn't seem to affect the plants.

Hope it works!!!
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account