Bookmark and Share

Page 1 of 1[1]

When should I start seeds?

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
seesue blog photos
Posted: Mar/08/2009 10:01 PM PST

I live in west central Wisconsin. I'm starting seeds indoors, I have already started tomatoes and peppers. But I don't know when to start flower seeds indoors. I have seeds for annuals and perennials. Does anyone have any suggestions when I should start them? I would appreciate any advise!
KeyWee blog photos
Posted: Mar/09/2009 4:53 AM PST

Hi from a former WI-ite! When I lived in WI, we always used mid-March or St. Patty's day as a rule-of-thumb start date for indoors. So you are right on the money if you are starting around now. My grandmother always used "Decoration Day" (Memorial Day) for her planting outside date, but she lived in Two Rivers and it almost never gets warm there.
I recall about 6-7 years ago (when I still lived in SE WI) we had a hard freeze on May 15th (arghhhhh) and my neighbor and I lost more than half our tomatoes. Hope you can avoid that this year!!
Welcome to GG!!!
pharmerphil blog photos
Posted: Mar/09/2009 2:49 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by KeyWee
Hi from a former WI-ite! When I lived in WI, we always used mid-March or St. Patty's day as a rule-of-thumb start date for indoors. So you are right on the money if you are starting around now. My grandmother always used "Decoration Day" (Memorial Day) for her planting outside date, but she lived in Two Rivers and it almost never gets warm there.
I recall about 6-7 years ago (when I still lived in SE WI) we had a hard freeze on May 15th (arghhhhh) and my neighbor and I lost more than half our tomatoes. Hope you can avoid that this year!!
Welcome to GG!!!
Keywee, we set our tomatoes and peppers, well all warm weather crops out on Memorial day too.
My wife is from Wi. way up north, but lived in Appleton when we met...gets colder there than Minnesota..In my opinion
sassmuffin blog photos
Posted: Mar/09/2009 9:16 PM PST

I usually wait until until April one to start the toms and peppers, The will grow quickly before it is warm enough to set them out. I don't plant until Memorial day here. The "big pond" is always causing problems. last Memorial day it was 80ish, that night we had a light frost, go figure.

Flowers I start already in January, for impatients, geraniums, mums,pansy

February was gazania,lupin, hibiscus,foxglove,columbine,delphinium, pinks, bee balm, daisy

March was coleus, polka dot, nicotina flowering maple and cosmos

I base the starting date on germination rate, when the last average frost is, how mature I want the plant to be when it goes outside and of course the seed packet info.

I like to have some flowers that will already be or almost ready to flower when I put them out, others I start later to use to freshen up the garden in July and August. Hope this helps
seesue blog photos
Posted: Mar/10/2009 3:32 PM PST

This helps a lot,thank you! I better get busy and start planting those flowers!
seesue blog photos
Posted: Mar/10/2009 3:35 PM PST

Thanks for the info! I really like this site also. This is one to refer to all my gardening "buds"!
sassmuffin blog photos
Posted: Mar/10/2009 4:48 PM PST

Melinda Meyers has a couple of good book for gardening in Wisconsin. The local library should have them, or the local garden center. I am always happy to help.

Sass
chrispaul97 blog photos
Posted: Mar/11/2009 11:23 AM PST

I started my seeds about a month ago. Probably just a tad too soon. I think next year I will start them in the beg of march.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account