Page 1 of 1[1]

Camellia and eucalyptus

Most Active Topic:
Member Message
witt blog photos
Posted: Feb/27/2009 6:26 AM PST

A friend of mine asked me to root her some camellia and eucalyptus. My first thought was that you can't root either one of those plants, can you? Please let me know what to tell her.
Spider_Lily photos
Posted: Feb/27/2009 8:19 AM PST

I have rooted a couple of camellia's .I find them sort of hard to root.But this is what I did.I pulled a small limb off the shrub left the little node part on trimmed close.Dip in Takeroot put in pot with good soil.I sit them in a morning sun evening shade spot and just keep them watered.And pray hard they root.
gatorbone13 photos
Posted: Mar/11/2009 10:28 AM PST

I can't remember where I read this, but air layering is supposed to be a good way to root camellias.
trudy blog photos
Posted: Mar/23/2009 2:53 AM PST

An elderly lady from my church says the best time to root Camelias is in July. They can be rooted anytime of the year but for best an quicker results start in July. Root them with the hormone an soil just like any other plant. If you wish to try earlier than July then I would choose the area where the hard wood an soft wood meet. Strip all the leaves except 2. Don't know about Eucaliptus. Tell your friend you'll do your best, but no promises as they can be difficult
witt blog photos
Posted: Mar/23/2009 3:25 AM PST

Thanks for the ideas. I'll give it a shot.

As to the eucalyptus, everything that I have read says to start them from seed, but if the plant doesn't flower, how do you get the seed?
valarie
Posted: Sep/21/2010 2:29 PM PST

Camellia can be started from seed as well as from a cutting. You can order cape smokers from seedman.com. These are small pieces of treated paper. Take the seeds and soak one to two days in water and a cape smoker . Plant indoor or out depending on weather, or season. With this method your seeds will sprout in four to six weeks or some will take up to 6 months. water from the bottom of the pot after the initial planting. Keep soil moist but not wet. Slip cuts are dipped in root hormone and planted. Good Luck! Val in Texas. By the way if you have gardens for walking, and camellias grow there the seeds are all over pick them up and take them home. Seeds can be found from late summer to spring.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account