Page 1 of 2[12 Last

Garlic Oil

Most Active Topic:
Member Message
damethod blog photos
Posted: Feb/23/2009 6:26 AM PST

I take several garlic cloves and a bottle of olive oil and blend them in the food processor. I then add some salt and pour the mix back into the olive oil bottle. I use it on just about every recipe that needs garlic and/or oil. Oil is a natural preservative, so I would imagine that it keeps for quite a while.

Am I correct in my assumption?.. and how long do y'all think it can be stored before having to throw it away?
Canned_Nerd photos
Posted: Feb/23/2009 7:31 AM PST

Stored at room temperature? About 2 hours! Garlic and oil is an absolute no-no in the home since it becomes a breeding ground for the Botulism toxin (odorless, tasteless). I'm not sure where you learned that oil was a natural preservative.

Commercially produced versions are done with a specially processing that cannot be duplicated in the home, but even that should be refrigerated when opened.
RiverRock blog photos
Posted: Feb/24/2009 8:28 PM PST

Absolutely do NOT keep your garlic oil in a cupboard..refigerate it at all times when you are not using it. It will last about a week maybe 2 in the fridge. But as was already stated garlic in oil is a huge no no if no refridgerated.
I have never heard of oil being a natural preservative either and I am very very into natrual things. Please research thing when you do them when it comes to food, do not take some ones word for it because one slip can make you very sick or even be deadly.

blessings,
RiverRock
damethod blog photos
Posted: Feb/25/2009 9:23 AM PST

Yikes! Good thing I asked about it here!

I don't know where I remember hearing about oil as a preservative, but I figured it was true since I've seen sun dried tomatoes, tuna, and anchovies packed in oil. I should have researched the garlic oil before storing it for so long. I've been very lucky since I've had the stuff up to one month! I won't make the same mistake again.

Thanks for the input!
witt blog photos
Posted: Feb/25/2009 12:02 PM PST

Yikes from here, too. I just mince up garlic and put it in a jar with vegetable oil. I use it all the time, but I do keep it refrigerated. Is that still dangerous?
Canned_Nerd photos
Posted: Feb/25/2009 2:48 PM PST

Every time you remove the jar from the refrigerator, open it, let it sit for a minute or three or five, you are potentially inviting the bacteria to grab hold and grow. Of course you have that same issue with just about every food item in the refrigerator. Some just grow things faster than others. If you want to keep using the oil, do NOT store on the refrigerator door and do not allow the jar to get warm.
witt blog photos
Posted: Feb/26/2009 2:21 AM PST

Thanks, C-nerd. What would we do without you?

Guess where I keep my garlic oil? Yep, you guessed it. Right in the refrigerator door! I'll move it to the rear of the fridge. I only have a smidgen left from my last batch. When I need some more, I think I'll just buy the jarred kind from the grocery store rather than make my own.

Thanks again!
Canned_Nerd photos
Posted: Feb/26/2009 7:33 AM PST

Here's a reference from the National Center for Home Food Preservation in case anyone else is reading this threat and wants to hear it from an authority.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/freeze/garlic_oil.htm l
carolyncat353 blog photos
Posted: Mar/15/2009 4:17 PM PST

Good grief! How did we manage to live so long?
Canned_Nerd photos
Posted: Mar/15/2009 5:48 PM PST

We didn't.
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account