Page 1 of 1[1]

Potting soil getting moldy

Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
bussete1 blog photos
Joined: 8/18/2007
Location: Omaha
Posts: 330
Posted: Feb/21/2009 9:43 AM PST

I have two plants that have moldy potting soil. I was wondering if there's a good way to get rid of this? They're rather large pots, so I'd like to avoid re-potting them. The plants are chives and peppermint. Organic methods are preferred.
witt blog photos
Joined: 3/28/2008
Location: Lancaster, SC
Posts: 16643
Moderator
Posted: Feb/26/2009 1:57 AM PST

I just saw this. Sorry. I'm not sure at this second. I was wondering if perhaps there's too much moisture. I'll have to research this unless someone else can tell you what to do.
MamaBearBSA photos
Joined: 8/14/2002
Location: Altoona, Iowa (near Des Moines)
Posts: 4992
Moderator
Posted: Feb/26/2009 1:55 PM PST

First of all, is it realy mold or lime scale build up?

If it is mold...

I have not actually tried this myself but I have been told that vinegar water should do it. Mix 1 cup of vinegar into 1 gallon of water and MIST onto the entire surface of the soil. Avoid over watering in the future.

If it is lime scale build up...

You will have to change the top layer of soil then only water with distilled water in the future.
carolyncat353 blog photos
Joined: 4/29/2008
Location: Westlake, La
Posts: 10091
Posted: Feb/26/2009 2:09 PM PST

I thought vinegar killed plants? Don't get on the leaves!
bussete1 blog photos
Joined: 8/18/2007
Location: Omaha
Posts: 330
Posted: Feb/28/2009 11:00 AM PST

I'm pretty sure it's not lime scale. I over watered quite a bit when I first brought my pots in for the winter, and it's only in two of the five pots. I'll try the vinnegar, do you think I should use half a cup per gallon of water since some say it's poisonous?
MamaBearBSA photos
Joined: 8/14/2002
Location: Altoona, Iowa (near Des Moines)
Posts: 4992
Moderator
Posted: Feb/28/2009 5:37 PM PST

You have to use it full strength and in full sun for it to kill the plant itself. I would avoid getting it on the leaves, if possible, and if you do, maybe wipe it off with a damp cloth. You can always try it weaker and if it doesn't quite do the job, try it a little stronger.

Another thing I thought of was to put a fan on the plant at soil level to dry it out a little faster (on the surface anyway). That is what some people do on their seedlings to prevent damping off (a form of mold) and to strengthen the main stems.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.


or Create an account