Page 1 of 2[12 Last

dividing sedems

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
antiquelady photos
Posted: Feb/16/2009 5:43 PM PST

I have 2 hugh Autumn Joy Sedems that are many years old. They have needed dividing for several years but I never seem to get to them before they have sprouted out. How early can I divide them in zone 6 south central Pa?
yardgranny6 blog photos
Posted: Feb/16/2009 6:53 PM PST

Spring or fall seems to be the time most people divide sedums. And they are usually pretty hardy in any zone. Linda B
dirtdobber blog photos
Posted: Mar/17/2009 6:11 AM PST

Also, this has got to be one of the alltime easist plants to root. Pop some cuttings in water, and in no time you will have new plants!
chamzilla photos
Posted: Mar/29/2009 11:53 AM PST

hello

I'm a bit further north from you I think zone 5a? Not 100% sure on that. Windsor Ontario Canada Area. ALSO it doesn't state here when exactly to dig them up for division... We are probably in for another few cold snaps before its all said and done for the spring. Our last frost is at the end of May. When would be the time to dig and hack them up?

Also can I do my Hosta's at the same time? And do I just divide them and pop them where I'd like them to grow again.. or do they need shade for a few weeks or something like that first? thanks in advance
fairygarden blog photos
Posted: Apr/01/2009 4:53 AM PST

Chamzilla, I live in zone 8 and when I see a plant that needs dividing, I just do it. Usually I do it in early spring when the plant is coming up. I try to make sure they have enough water until they get established.
greenthumb1 photos
Posted: Apr/10/2009 12:45 PM PST

you should be able to divide hostas and sedums now before new growth starts forming. I have even divided hastas when the leaves were 3-4" tall and they still survived. Just remember to not let the roots dry out while you are dividing.
poeticpeony blog photos
Posted: Apr/16/2009 8:15 AM PST

I'm in zone 5 and got a mess of hostas someone had free by the road last year. I just tossed them by a tree in the backyard with some of their dirt on them. They survived the winter and now I have hundreds to figure out where to put. They're very forgiving. I've got some autumn joys that are just as hardy and forgiving. For some reason I end up with an ant hill where they grow. I'm not quite sure why that is.
mudpies blog photos
Posted: Apr/24/2009 6:24 PM PST

I have a giant hosta that has been handed down from generation to generation. I remember a pair of them at the gate to my great grandparents' home. I've divided it successfully in mid-summer for my kids. I think hostas are survivors.
ontario blog photos
Posted: May/28/2009 1:44 AM PST

I have divided my Autumn Joy in the spring, with no problems. I replant with some transplant fertilizer, and they do great. I am in zone 5b.
harley blog photos
Posted: Jun/02/2009 3:23 AM PST

I'm in Zone 5, NE PA. I divid as I need to. Ground cover, daylily, small bush type plants are never a problem for me. And if someone comes by and wants a piece of something I remind them to water, water, water. I've done this in the middle of summer. Now certain things like the huge hosta, I will only do in spring. They look to fragile, but I have divided regular hostas. It may not bloom again this year, but patience and you'll have blooms next year.
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account