Bookmark and Share

Page 1 of 2[12 Last

Wild Pork

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
txrose blog photos
Posted: Feb/08/2009 2:19 PM PST

So has anyone on this forum cooked wild pork shoulder? I had one given to me today and need to cook it...I'm soaking it now in lemon iced water as I was told to...any ideas?
Help me soon cause I am soaking it now thinking to marinade it???
Canned_Nerd photos
Posted: Feb/08/2009 4:32 PM PST

You didn't say what size it was, but here is a recipe that you might consider

http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/article/125/1 8211

or a simpler one

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/ roasted-pork-shoulder-pernil-al-horno-recipe/index .html
txrose blog photos
Posted: Feb/08/2009 7:03 PM PST

It's not very big like a large roast or a small brisket? does that really help?
I decided to marinade it overnight after soaking it in lemon water..then prob will roast in an oven for around 6 hours on 200 and then put on the smoker...I really am just winging it..help if I'm going all about it wrong..where is Aimee?

*oh my thank you cannednerd lol I will look at those recipes!
carolyncat353 blog photos
Posted: Feb/09/2009 5:47 PM PST

I've cooked wild pork-just don't expect it to taste like a roast from the grocery store. Soaking it in the lemon is to alleviate some of the " wild" taste, which, if cleaned right, it shouldn't be bad. You have the right idea about slow cooking it (I cook a lot of my roasts of ANY meat or size that way!)It needs lots of seasoning-onions, garlic, bell pepper, all stuffed in all crevices. You do have to watch out for it drying out, though, cause wild pigs really don't have as much fat as a grocery store one, thus a little tougher and drier. So, add the juice! Goes well with steamed cabbage. Air the room after eating !
txrose blog photos
Posted: Feb/10/2009 8:30 AM PST

Hey ya'll~ first I soaked it in lemon iced water for a few hours I think didn't time it.But I was told to do it until it looks like the blood is out of it. Then I rinsed dried it off and checked for any hairs or whatnot..Put it in a bag,then put oil on it all over and a seasoning rub I had for pork..rubbed it in real good..then I used a meat tenderizer thingy to basically polk holes all over it..let it sit a night then turned it over went shopping all day..then came home around 8pm set the oven on 200 degrees..took it out placed it on foil and covered it with foil sealed the edges all around good did not poke vent holes I was told not to..it cooked until I remembered it LOL about 4am I took it out of the oven and WOW!! It is great!! only way to improve would be to smoke I think..I was delighted and so was my family especially my son who comes home from work at 5am
I was able to flake it or shred it what ever you call it soooooooooo good and I had enough to freeze for later use!
I have deer steak and shoulder as well to cook later..I love country boys!! who hunt!! they are fantastic!!
That coupled with gardening and wow! you don't need a grocery store.
carolyncat353 blog photos
Posted: Feb/10/2009 11:05 AM PST

Sounds like you did real well!! Every roast of any kind I cook is in the oven-long and on low. Can't fail!
txrose blog photos
Posted: Feb/10/2009 6:44 PM PST

Thanks ya'll I did use your comments and looked up recipes to help me wing my way through that.
*ha right air out room afterwards lol
Gimpy2 blog photos
Posted: Mar/22/2009 6:06 AM PST

Hello TexRose,
You seemed to have aced it lady, good for you!
Donno where Aimee is, been looking for her for a couple of days.
Hope I can sub, though not a prof chef like her, I did have a BF for 5 years who was a "Maitre Queue".. though that sounds dirty it just means master of the pan handle! Anyway, I learned a heap of stuff from him. This is what I have learned:
-All game meat is almost without fat, so you have to compensate for that with juice making things like fruit (pineapple, apples, prunes,or vegetables like cabbage and like that...
How you cook it is just as important. Almost always best is "En etouffe" that means smothered air tight, which is what you did. The Hawaiians have it right..For a luau they make a hole in the ground, line it with palm leaves, then red hot coals, more palm leaves, then then boar,(wild pig) more leaves to completely cover, then bury all that with soil. It stays there for a very long time. You could do that in Texas as you have the climate and the palm trees. Here in Canada, we have to get creative, but the basic principle is the same..Seal it shut, airtight, cook long slow and low. I tried to BBQ boar, it turned out like shoe leather. not recommended.
-Here is a trick the French created before the invention of the pressure cooker. Mix enough flour and some water to make a very thick mixture that you roll into a long rope. Put your meat, fruit or vegie and spices in, water or a little alcohol doesn't hurt, as it breaks down tough fiber, then put the lid on and seal it with your flour/water rope. Make sure you seal it up really well. Then do your low and slow in the oven. The French name for that is LUTE with an accent on the e.
-Game meats are gamy.. either you like that or you don't. Within reason, I like a gamy taste. To ofset that use rubs made with strong herbs like Rosemary or sage, strong mustard and like that. That lemon and ice water trick is a new one on me, but I will remember it. Thanks.
-The older the beast the tougher, so the younger your game the better.
-We are getting all sorts of game meats in chain grocery stores now, as you probably are too. Bison, elk, hare,and like that. People from the Caribean like cabri, which is goat, so that is starting to show up in the meat counters too. All these rules apply to them also. Even game poultry like partridge, grouse etc. Even been seeing ostrich and emu in the local grocery stores. Local farmers seem to get off on raising those! Got a ton of recipes for partridge and grouse as that is what my friends usually bring me. Give a holler if you want some.

Okay, that is the sum of my knowledge on game.. hope some of it helps.
Gimpy2
trevor71
Posted: May/17/2009 2:34 AM PST

hi all

i have grown up eating wild pork we would catch the suckers and fatten them up on roo meat and wheat

cooking them was no different to cooking any other meat

when i first tried store brought pork i was disgusted and didnt touch it for years

any way i have moved back to the bush and a friend and i shot a pig the other day and cut the legs and back straps of it and sofar i have only had the legs

all i did was put a baking tray half full of water on the bottom of the oven and sat the legs on a trivet in the tray and cooked for the required time and it was fantastic

i had every intention of doing something fancy with it but suffering the effects of a big night the night before i kept it simple and it paid of.

i thing i agree with is that wild pork really lacks the fat of caged pork

now all i have to do is figure out what to do with the back straps, i was thinking of making medallions out of them and cooking with some kind of thai recipe any ideas?
aimee blog photos
Posted: May/17/2009 8:58 PM PST

Hey Trevor, you ever try any of those fat yellow worm things the aborigines get out of those roots or whatever? I forget what they're called. Lucky... you get to hang out in the Australian bush. Some of us are from Indiana LOL.

Thai's have a popular method for barbequing chicken by marinating it in garlic, pepper, and chopped corriander root then cooking it over coals. Maybe that would work for your pork tender.

Here's one example.

http://www.templeofthai.com/recipes/barbecue_chick en.php
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account