Herbal Leaf Plant Identification??

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
kasman photos
Posted: Feb/08/2009 7:32 PM PST

Is it a wild plant???
I am very interested in this plant too, i asked some friends about this plant, no one knows about it, maybe this plant only available in Malaysia and Singapore......
Searching the name "NAN FEI YE", only found Malaysia and Singapore webpages (in mandarin) mentioned about this powerful plant , but haven't found other countries' websites mentioned about it..
do you have some others optional info about it?
drhugo
Posted: Feb/09/2009 3:38 AM PST

I have finally found the Malay name for this incredible tropical plant full of healing qualities. It is known as "Sambung Nyawa" which translates as "Life Connection" which in turn I think could relate to "longevity." Kasman, does it grow in Indonesia too? Not sure whether to call it a wild plant as many people grow it in their gardens and use it for its medicinal benefits. Look forward to hearing from anyone with any more info about it. Cheers! Dr Hugo
drhugo
Posted: Feb/09/2009 6:08 AM PST

Finally found the scientific identity! It is Gynura procumbens. Look it up and learn all about the wonderful therapeutic benefits it has for our health. Cheers! Dr Hugo
told2b blog photos
Posted: Feb/09/2009 12:01 PM PST

Abstract Gynura procumbens is used in Thai folk medicine to treat topical inflammation, rheumatism, and viral ailments. In the present work, attempts were made to verify the folk medicinal claim that the crude ethanolic extract of G. procumbens has antinflammatory action and to relate the activity to particular fractions using acroton oil-induced mouse ear inflammation model. The original ethanolic extract of G. procumbens was partitioned between water and ethyl acetate. The residues were subjected to antinflammatory evaluation. While the water extract did not show any antinflammatory activity, the administration of the original organic extract significantly inhibited the increase in ear thickness in response to crotonoil (n = 5). The activity of 0.75 mg/ear original organic extract showed similar antinflammatory activity (inhibition 65.2%) to that of 6 mg/ear hydrocortisone 21-hemisuccinate sodium salt(inhibition 64.8%). The organic extract was then fractionated with a series of solvents in order of increasing polarity. Each fraction was dried, dissolved in acetone and monitored using the same bioassay. These experiments showed that the hexane and toluene fractions showed significant inhibitions of 44.6% and 34.8%, respectively. These two fractions had similar activities to 4 mg/ear of hydrocortisone (inhibition 35.0%). The possible chemical constituents in the extracts and fractions were investigated using thin layer chromatography and specific color reagents. These tests showed that steroids might be one class of antinflammatory compounds in this plant.

It's all Greek to me.
told2b blog photos
Posted: Feb/09/2009 12:34 PM PST

"Procumbens" refers to prostrate growth form.

So it can not be the very tall plant that you have pictured??
drhugo
Posted: Feb/10/2009 9:53 PM PST

Yes, you are right. From Latin: procumbens, procumbent- present participle of procumbere, to bend down : pro-, forward, to lie down.
One would think that a tall plant would not be described as such. However, there are so many websites where "Sambung Nyawa" is referred to as Gynura procumbens, although, given its height, it is by no means a "low growing" plant?? Let us work on this confusion to help clarify the name and identity, or perhaps even misnomer?? Cheers!
drhugo
Posted: Feb/15/2009 9:17 PM PST

Is our search really dead in the water? Where are we to go from here to identify this wonderful herbal plant with so may healing properties?? Any more ideas anyone??
e-claire
Posted: Feb/24/2009 6:33 PM PST

I searched on the net n found that it is also known as akar sebiak...not sure if this info helps
EvonneStoryteller photos
Posted: Feb/25/2009 5:14 AM PST

http://genebank.rda.go.kr/asiamediplants/home/doc3 _1_view.asp?seqno=829

I suppose the plant might just be improperly named?
love4 photos
Posted: Mar/27/2009 12:17 PM PST

here is a photo of "akar sebiak(sambung nyawa)/gynura procumbens", but your plant is not a "sambung nyawa" and the website recommended by evonnestoryeller also contains some error about the height of this plant...this plant's tall only about 30-50 cm and never reach 6 m..

Attachments:

Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account