Page 1 of 1[1]

Fast-blooming flower from seeds

Most Active Topic:
Member Message
growingsprig
Posted: Jan/24/2009 6:18 AM PST

I want to do a project with my garden club on growing flowers from seeds and I'm trying to find out what flowers will not only germinate fairly quickly, but how soon they will actually start to bloom. Any ideas?
yardgranny6 blog photos
Posted: Jan/24/2009 7:38 AM PST

Marigolds come to mind for me. It takes all flowers a bit of time to start blooming. This is the seed used to teach school kids about plants.

Most all seed packets will give you this information as well. LB
EvonneStoryteller photos
Posted: Jan/25/2009 6:48 AM PST

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/688937/
You can try this discussion for some ideas. (See link, remove spaces...)

Usually the easier to grow flowers are used for teaching. I tried to find a flower chart including days to maturity listed. I did not locate one. You can look up the days to maturity on each plant to see which ones will blossom rather quickly. (Days to maturity is typically the time between planting the seed and the first harvest or blossom.)

I read that the disco marigold is specifically bred for early show. I tried to find info on it and it gave days to maturity as 7-10 days... but that can't be right. Here is the link just in case.

http://henryfields.com/product.asp?splid=SPLID02&p n=75771&bhcd2=1232894280

The conditions you have will make a big difference too. I do not find zinneas will sprout so well until it is warmer. The same goes for petunias. I also think that petunias are fickle sprouters.
poeticpeony blog photos
Posted: Feb/19/2009 5:03 PM PST

How about sunflowers? Even beans have flowers on them before beans so that might be an option, too.
ZenSojourner photos
Posted: Feb/24/2009 12:02 PM PST

Zinnias usually bloom 6 to 8 weeks from seeding, so starting in pots will help speed that up

Scarlet runner bean should flower pretty quickly plus give you some veggies

Phlox and Vinca are early bloomers but you need to start these indoors too.

Some of the asters and Marigolds may be good for you, again if you start them indoors.

Inspire Appleblossom Geranium is fast blooming for a geranium, 80 days from seed. If you start some now you could have blooms by June.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account