Page 1 of 1[1]

When can I prune?

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
bugnut blog photos
Posted: Jan/22/2009 2:41 PM PST

I am in zone 7a, and have several rose plants, I call them plants because I don't know if they are climbing or bush. They have some green shoots and some brown shoots, or limbs. I need to know when is the best time to cut them back and how far.

Thanks John
sassmuffin blog photos
Posted: Jan/22/2009 3:55 PM PST

Here's what I can give you John. Usually zone 7 can wait until March. OR you can go by the Farmers Almanac Rule, which is when the Forsythia bloom. OR, when new growth buds start to appear along the canes. I'm in zone 5 and just wait until late April as The Great Lake likes to throw weird stuff our way occassionally.

Cut them just below the winter kill, but 1/4 above an eye at a slant. With the low point of the slant above the eye.

Hope this helps.
carolyncat353 blog photos
Posted: Jan/22/2009 6:23 PM PST

Hey, John-I'm in zone 9 and our local Ag center says to prune and fertilize ours in early Feb-so I would think yours would be at least a month later-Don't rely on me though-I don't have a clue what to do in zone 7! Oh, and cut back to about 1/3 of the original height, cutting out all branches smaller than your little finger, leaving 3-4 healthy stubs.
Spider_Lily photos
Posted: Jan/25/2009 3:52 PM PST

I'm in zone 8 I prune my rose's the first of Feb and fertilize.Always have pretty full bushes full of roses.
bugnut blog photos
Posted: Jan/27/2009 7:50 AM PST

Thank you gals. It looks like I will be safe to prune and fertilize the first week of March.

John

Attachments:

sassmuffin blog photos
Posted: Jan/27/2009 3:10 PM PST

That's a beauty John!!!
anneliepiccino blog photos
Posted: Feb/08/2009 11:20 AM PST

Hi John,
I am sorry you had to wait so long for this answer. Late winter or early spring, whever that is in your region, or when all danger of frost is gone and the soil is workable.
If you go to my Rose site, you will get complete instructions about rose pruning and when to prune in certain areas.

Let me know if you need any more help.
All the Best,
Annelie

Please send Annelie a PM for her web site.

Attachments:

yardgranny6 blog photos
Posted: Feb/08/2009 11:40 AM PST

I just read yesterday that you can prune your roses as soon as you see them starting to come out. It will soon be time to get them ready for their ultimate blooming season.
Spider_Lily photos
Posted: Feb/09/2009 6:06 AM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by yardgranny6
I just read yesterday that you can prune your roses as soon as you see them starting to come out. It will soon be time to get them ready for their ultimate blooming season.

I pruned all my rose's this weekend.It was a beautiful day Saturday 78 degree's Nice day to work in the yard.
lissalanae21 blog photos
Posted: Feb/26/2009 8:56 AM PST

We have 5 rose bushes all of which i pruned before they started to bud up and so far so good. All of them are leafing out really well now that we have had a couple weeks of mild weather so im hoping for the best. All of these bushes are well established as they are about 10 years old but none of them had been pruned in about 6 years due to the former owners of this home not haveing any liking for yard work. 3 are the vining type and i had to spend several hours cutting them down to size ( they wer climbing our roof)i hope they fare ok after the major hair cut. I will post pics when they bloom.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account