Page 1 of 1[1]

Trimming sycamore trees

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
michaelsfurr
Posted: Jan/12/2009 11:05 AM PST

I have 2 small american sycamore trees about 4-5 feet tall. What is the best tme to trim them?
cgar blog photos
Posted: Jan/12/2009 11:19 AM PST

Tree Tips

When to prune trees depends upon why you prune. Light pruning and the removal of dead wood can be done anytime. Otherwise follow these guidelines:
Winter: Pruning during dormancy is the most common practice. The results of pruning at this time are vigorous new growth. Some trees like maples, walnuts and birches may "bleed" when the sap begins to flow but this is not harmful.
Summer: To slow or dwarf the development of a tree or branch, pruning should be done right after the growing season is over. Corrective pruning is easier done at this time of the year because dead limbs or limbs hanging too low from the weight of leaves can be seen easily.
Fall: Because fungi spread their spores profusely in the fall and wounds are slower to heal, do not prune flowering trees during this time of year. It is not that detrimental for non-ornamental trees to be pruned at this time.
Flowering Trees: For trees or shrubs that bloom in summer or fall on current years growth, prune in winter. For trees that bloom in summer or fall on current years growth, prune in winter. For trees that bloom in spring from last years growth, prune when their flowers fade.

I hope this info is somewhat helpful. On a side note, I lived for a few years in that great wasteland known as Lubbock! (Go Red Raiders!) Have you ever heard of No Trees, Texas? Actual place in West Texas and very aptly named! Good luck.
michaelsfurr
Posted: Jan/12/2009 12:02 PM PST

I'm trimming them just to shape them up. Need to take off the bottom branches so they'll grow upright like a tree should.It is a bit like a desert around here. I often dream of moving away, but not until my kids are out of school.
cgar blog photos
Posted: Jan/12/2009 12:47 PM PST

I don't think a little shaping would hurt it. As for the desert out there, just go outside on a new moon night and revel at the stars overhead. I remember feeling that I could just reach out and grab a handful.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account