Page 1 of 1[1]

fruiting trees

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
mcmartian
Posted: Jan/03/2009 3:13 PM PST

I have a wonderful problem, thought I'd ask you for suggestions. I was given a $100 gift certificate for use at a mail order garden catalog company. I was told to use some of it to purchase fruiting trees.

We already have 2 apple trees and 2 pear trees. The pears produce wonderfully and we don't need more. the apple trees, don't produce well, but we've pruned them and plan to treat the scab problem this year. So we don't necessarily want more apple trees right awaay either.

Despite the fact that we do have 4 fruiting trees, we're newbies to caring for an orchard (we've only owned the land for less than a year). So we'd like to add some more fruiting trees gradually over the next few years starting with easy ones. Which trees would you recommend for a zone 4-5 NY State start of a mini home orchard?

We plan to buy trees in sets of 2 for pollination purposes. It was recommended that we buy a mulberry bush/tree in addition to our other trees as a bird diversion. I'm wondering if 2 mulberries would be needed for pollination (don;t really want to buy the birds 2 trees).

what are your thoughts? Eventually I think we want to try plums, peaches, cherries and maybe apricots. In future years we want to try blueberries (but we need to acidify the soil first). We currently have red raspberries, and will this year add black raspberries. Space isn't a huge issue since we have a 1.5 acre open field for our veggie and fruit gardens.
damethod blog photos
Posted: Jan/03/2009 8:05 PM PST

I would be happy growing any of the trees you mentioned. However, none will grow in my zone. What about an Olive tree?

You could also grow Kiwi on a trellis. You need one male for every 8 female plants!
mcmartian
Posted: Jan/04/2009 8:20 AM PST

not sure if kiwi would grow in my zone. pretty sure olive wouldn't but I do love olives.

hmm and I thought pretty much everything would grow in your zone since you're in warm florida. i guess too warm.
damethod blog photos
Posted: Jan/05/2009 6:03 AM PST

There are lots of trees that do not do well in our warm and humid climate. Florida is actually now in danger of losing it's citrus industry thanks to pests and diseases that thrive in this climate.

Some fruit trees need a certain amount of chill time in order to set fruit and/or for the the fruit to develop and ripen properly. Here is a good web site for purchasing trees. Even if you don't buy anything, click on a particular fruit tree and on the bottom will be a zone map. The colored in areas are where those plants will grow.

http://www.willisorchards.com/

I mentioned Kiwi because someone on this site grew boatloads of Kiwi in New York. I'm going to bump the thread so you can see it.
Twiggybet1 blog photos
Posted: Jan/05/2009 6:44 AM PST

We used to have a mulberry. We only had one and it produced, so I don't think a 2nd one is necessary. You should be able to find varieties of plum, peach and cherries that would grow in your zone. If your looking to grow an assortment of fruit, have you considered planting a grape arbor, or berry bushes?
mcmartian
Posted: Jan/05/2009 5:03 PM PST

we're thinking of an assortment of fruit that we'll plant over a course of several years.

i know that kiwi, peach, plum, cherry, apple, pear, and possibly apricot will grow in our area but not sure which are easy to grow versus needed alot of work. we're in a vally near a creek, in one of the zone 4 pockets of NY state. 8 miles away it's zone 5 but here it's definately 4, and if I can buy zone 3, I'd go for that.

i'm thinking of grapes along a fence to hide the compost pile, but I'm more eager to plant the trees, and berry bushes.

my husband's suddenly talking about getting nut trees now too. but so far he's seing ones that grow to 20 feet, and we really want dwarf trees so their easier to pick.
damethod blog photos
Posted: Jan/06/2009 7:49 AM PST

Some nut trees will grow to 100ft! Almost all nut trees are enormous. I believe the smallest is the Cashew tree. However, that only grows in tropical areas. I think Hazelnut can be maintained rather small..

As for how much trouble each plant is, try searching in your local university web site. The University of Florida web site has boat loads of info on how to grow fruit trees in Florida. If your local University has a "horticultural sciences" department, you will find the info you need there.
greenthumb1 photos
Posted: Jan/10/2009 6:14 AM PST

Cherry trees are a good bet for your location. The kind you get depends on what you want to use them for. Pie or sweet eating. Pie cherries will probbably do better in you zone 4 since they are a little more hardy than sweet cherries.
Hope this helps
mcmartian
Posted: Jan/10/2009 5:17 PM PST

thanks.

we picked 2 filberts (hazelnut varieties i think) - that'll make my husband happy and I guess I gotta keep him happy since he'll be planting all the trees and I'll be trying to keep the kids out from under foot.

we ordered 2 apricot bushes (10 feet tall isn't a bush to me though)

4 cherry bushes, not sure if they're sweet or tart though.

We also ordered 2 peach trees - a contender and a fingerlakes variety both dwarfs.

we still have half of our gift certificate to use (some of htis didn't come from the place we have the certificate from). we do still need to get the tree protectors and stakes and fertilizers. Hoping to get the manure from the local farmers, but not sure if we can get that much as well aged - definately could fresh lol.

we're considering getting a Carmen Jewel dwarf cherry tree - it's hardy to zone 2 but supposed to still be sweet.

we're also considering a 3 in 1 cherry tree, but it doesn't come in dwarf size. it does have a rootstock that's zone 4 with grafts of sweet cherry trees that are typically zone 5 and up.

we're also debating about getting a superior dwarf and alderman dwarf plum trees. my husband's pushing for a kiwi but i'm not sure if that's a vine or a tree and i'm not keen on getting it this year.

we're also going to buy more red raspberries and our first black raspberries. a relative will be thinning his black raspberries this year and giving us some as well. oh the tiller will be busy this year, maybe i should be getting a post hold digger for those trees. hehe
damethod blog photos
Posted: Mar/29/2009 6:21 AM PST

Update?

Oh, and Kiwi is a vine. They can grow quite large, so a large trellis or an arbor would be perfect. You'll also need 1 male for up to 8 females in order to set fruit. In other words, you need a minimum of two plants.

Larry posted a pic of his arbor loaded with kiwis in the "kiwi" discussion on this thread. I think it's on the 2nd or 3rd page.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account