cat poop

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
Althea
Posted: Jan/28/2009 9:50 AM PST

I used to live in Seattle, and my next door neighbor had two cats and would let them out because she didn't want to have a litter box in her house. They would climb over the 6 foot high fence around my yard and poop in my vegetable garden. She was very hostile when I asked her to provide a litter box in her house for her cats, and I pointed out that she legally had no right to allow her cats to use other people's property as their toilet.

Her cats came into my yard because I didn't have a cat or dog, and my yard was not "marked" by the scent of another animal as their territory. What made my yard even more attractive was the compost I put in the veggie garden, and then the organic fish fertilizer attracted every cat in the neighborhood. My veggies loved it, but it was a huge mistake.

What I'm about to tell you is really gross, but it worked. You have to "mark" your territory with urine. For some reason, men's urine is more effective than women's urine (testosterone?). My boyfriend would come over, drink a beer, and then go outside and pee along the perimeter of my vegetable garden. When he wasn't around, I would pee in a jar in the bathroom (ladies, we know how to do this), and then go outside and pour it around the perimeter of where the cats were pooping. Of course, you have to do this again after a rain. It doesn't smell as bad as ammonia, urine has hormones in it that ammonia doesn't, and it's free.
witt blog photos
Posted: Jan/28/2009 1:34 PM PST

Welcome to Garden Guides. That's very interesting! Why don't you fill out your profile and go to the Introduction Section and introduce yourself? I'm sure that everyone would like to get to know you!
floridagirl blog photos
Posted: Feb/12/2009 10:58 AM PST

That' a good idea especially the part about it being free, just make sure your boyfriend doesn't get caught tinkling. Your name is very familiar to me I wonder why? OH, it's mines TOO! It's not often you meet someone with the name Althea, but it has been nice meeting you floridagirl.
Lastniceguy photos
Posted: Mar/05/2009 4:16 PM PST

I used to get something from a hardware store that came in a carton like a cardboard milk carton that was made to keep cats away. Might try a pet shop. What about moth balls? Maybe hot pepper? I'd worry about ecolli from both the cats and the bf.
bussete1 blog photos
Posted: Mar/15/2009 8:10 PM PST

how come dog poop is good fertilizer, but cat poop isn't? I'm confused.
lissalanae21 blog photos
Posted: Mar/16/2009 2:57 PM PST

Cat and dog poop is NOT good for the garden it think cause they are Carnavores not herbavores(sp?) or at least thats what i have been told.
Lastniceguy photos
Posted: Mar/17/2009 6:51 AM PST

Your right Lissa. Cat and dog poop is NOT good. Carries all kinds of disease, worms and other parasites that you and your kids can get ill from. As far as neighbors cats go, if they wont take care of it I'd trap them and take them to animal control. Many of them will loan you the traps. I like animals but irresponsible owners tick me off.
Maela blog photos
Posted: Mar/17/2009 2:41 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by Lastniceguy
Your right Lissa. Cat and dog poop is NOT good. Carries all kinds of disease, worms and other parasites that you and your kids can get ill from. As far as neighbors cats go, if they wont take care of it I'd trap them and take them to animal control. Many of them will loan you the traps. I like animals but irresponsible owners tick me off.

So what would you do with your garden area if you found that cats had been pooping in it for a period of months? This has been happening in my garden for months now, and there is no way I could find it all (most of it is probably decomposed anyway) and remove it. I myself am the irresponsible owner , but I am working on making sure they stay out of it as much as I can now.

My question is: Is it safe for me to plant a vegetable garden there this month?
jenzilla
Posted: Apr/05/2009 11:32 AM PST

Maela-
I have the same problem! I pretty much freaked out when I saw what the cat had done over the winter because my kids eat the vegetables out of the garden. So, I looked up the hazards of cat poo and got more nervous. I ended up digging all the dirt out of the planting box and starting from scratch. I am sure that there is still some tiny microbes in there, but I did my best, and I dont want to think about that... I plan on leaving up the netting year round to keep out the racoons and the cats.
Lastniceguy photos
Posted: Apr/09/2009 12:16 PM PST

Jenzilla probably has more info than I do but my experience has been that cats love newly dug soil. I think a heavey mulching will stop them. (they don't like it rough). I would try to rake out all the poop I could and then hope that the plants "strain" out any bad stuff. (always have your hubby try the harvest b4 you and the kids) lol
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account