Page 1 of 1[1]

Trumpet Vine Won't Bloom

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
dsalkap55 photos
Posted: Nov/19/2008 1:54 PM PST

Does anyone know how to get a trumpet vine to bloom? I have one that is about 6 years old and I've tried everything from no fertilizer to regular fertilizing with a slow release formula and I still do not get any blooms!

I even heard that rose food was good for them and tried that and still have no flowers.

I know it's late fall and the vine is dormant, but I'd like to be prepared for Spring. Thanks for any hints!
witt blog photos
Posted: Nov/20/2008 2:58 AM PST

Perhaps a hard pruning in early spring would shock it into bloom?
dsalkap55 photos
Posted: Nov/20/2008 6:41 AM PST

Hi Again. Got your suggestion on pruning Santolina. I like your idea of a hard cut back in the Spring. I'll give it a try! Thanks again.

Diane
KeyWee blog photos
Posted: Nov/21/2008 4:32 AM PST

Trunpet vines typically do not bloom for the first five years or so. Make sure you have it planted in full sun ~ that will help. I always prune mine back almost to the ground in the spring ~ you cannot kill these things. In 2004, I planted a yellow one and it still has not bloomed ~ maybe next year.
A friend of mine has his along a fence and he prunes them to look like trees (all suckers removed from the bottom four feet of hardwood. They look SO cool like that and I want to try it with mine. Wish me luck!
Aurora blog photos
Posted: Nov/23/2008 6:41 AM PST

Wish I could help ya out- but mine bloom for me all the time. Wish I could get rid of most of them though- they are taking over the place!

KeyWee- I love the idea of having them pruned to a tree shape- I may have to try that with mine next year
KeyWee blog photos
Posted: Nov/23/2008 9:59 AM PST

Yes ~ they look amazing. At first, I had to ask what they were because they looked so unusual. From a distance, they look like small trees (10-12') with red trumpet flowers all over them. Because they have been doing this for so long, the main trunks are very thick and deciduous, and the tops have beautiful huge crowns. Sure beats them suckering all over in your lawn, under the deck, beneath the porch, and then popping up wherever
Aurora blog photos
Posted: Nov/24/2008 5:49 AM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by KeyWee
Yes ~ they look amazing. At first, I had to ask what they were because they looked so unusual. From a distance, they look like small trees (10-12') with red trumpet flowers all over them. Because they have been doing this for so long, the main trunks are very thick and deciduous, and the tops have beautiful huge crowns. Sure beats them suckering all over in your lawn, under the deck, beneath the porch, and then popping up wherever

EXACTLY!!!!
dsalkap55 photos
Posted: Nov/25/2008 9:54 AM PST

Hi, Well, that's encouraging news that they don't typically bloom for the first 5 years. Maybe next year will be the year! Yes, it's in full sun and I will also prune it back in the Spring. I hope your yellow one starts to bloom next year, too. Oh, the trumpet vine your friend has sounds amazing! I love the idea that it's pruned to look like a tree!
Diane
dsalkap55 photos
Posted: Nov/25/2008 9:59 AM PST

Well, if Key Wee is correct, maybe I'll get some blooms next year. When I lived back East they were all over the place, like you say. I do like the vine too, so even without the blooms it works, it would just be nice to have the flowers for the hummers!
Diane
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account