Page 1 of 1[1]

Gardening in Zone 11

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
owentrepanier
Posted: Nov/17/2008 7:22 PM PST

I am in Key West FL. My garden only seems to grow in the winter. It's planting time right now. I have not been able to grow much and no herbs. I've tried potatoes, peas, cucumbers, corn, carrots, beans, peppers, chilli peppers, rosemary, mint, fennel, celantro, and parsley. I have grown tomatos, avacado trees and bananas. I really enjoy gardening, but I have not gotten the hang of doing it in the subtropics. Anyone have ideas of what I should be trying to grow?
witt blog photos
Posted: Nov/18/2008 4:39 AM PST

I don't know why you are having trouble growing herbs there, but I sure would like to go down there for a visit and find out for myself!
I would think that most any herb would grow well there that wouldn't mind the humidity.
Maybe some of the Floridians here at Garden Guides can help you more than I.
damethod blog photos
Posted: Dec/04/2008 10:26 AM PST

Sorry I didn't see this sooner..

You can grow pretty much anything in zone 11. Herbs don't seem to mind when you plant them as long as you choose a sunny location. I've grown Rosemary, Greek Oregano, Thyme, Spearmint, parsley, and all types of Basil.

The trick to growing veggies is to plant them at the right time. Our summers are far too hot and humid for most peppers, tomatoes, and potatoes. What you want to grow during the summer is squash, cucumbers, zukes, etc. The rest of the veggies can be grown in the fall, winter, or spring.

As for fruits..we can grow almost anything. Easiest to maintain are mangos, avocados, and bananas. Citrus trees are a royal pain, but will reward you nicely if you are patient and a little lucky. You can also grow papaya, pineapple, jack fruit, star fruit, lychee, cashew tree(pronounced maranyon), sugar apple(anon), and cherimoya. I tried to name as many as I could remember, but I'm sure I missed some.

The fruits that usually don't fare so well down here are figs, grapes, olives, apples, kiwi, and some other fruits that are typically found up north.

Believe it or not..a pretty safe way to know what to grow at what time is by checking out the selection at your local Home Depot. Other than tomatoes and peppers, they typically have what's available during the recommended growing season. They always have peppers and tomatoes for some reason, but I wouldn't recommend them in the summer unless you have a controlled environment.

Here is a link to the University of Florida:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MG213

You can find info for proper care and maintenance of your avocado and banana trees. They also have info for most other fruits grown in Florida. Just type the name of the fruit in the search bar and it will usually be the first result.
cgar blog photos
Posted: Dec/04/2008 12:49 PM PST

And, as us Floridians know all too well, check your soil. Some things are hard to grow in sand. Contact your local extension agent to see what all it takes to get a soil sample done. Good Luck!
aegisprncs
Posted: Mar/03/2012 6:09 AM PST

Hey O... It's E! As you know I do a lot of gardening and am all over these sites. For your veg and herbs you really do need full sun. My mint and rosemary are doing great along with my key lime and Myer lemon tree (flowering right now). As side from the full sun of 6-8 hers a day, just keep an eye on your watering and fertilizer.
aegisprncs
Posted: Mar/03/2012 6:09 AM PST

Hey O... It's E! As you know I do a lot of gardening and am all over these sites. For your veg and herbs you really do need full sun. My mint and rosemary are doing great along with my key lime and Myer lemon tree (flowering right now). As side from the full sun of 6-8 hers a day, just keep an eye on your watering and fertilizer.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account