Copyright © 1997-2009 Demand Media. All rights reserved.
Posted: Nov/13/2008 7:29 PM PST
I'm hoping to get three 3 ft. x 1.5 ft. x 1.5 ft. containers going for next spring for organic veggies.
I have found many recipes for soil, but I have never made my own organic mix. I will be growing tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, peas, cucumbers, radishes, and herbs. This is the recipe I have come up with, please comment if there is anything missing or the quantities of ingredients are off.
21 cu. ft. potting mix total:
- 7 cu. ft. pulverized pine bark
- 7 cu. ft. compost (I can get this free, as opposed to sphagnum peat)
- 7 cu. ft. perlite
- 5.25 lb. dolomitic limestone
- 5.25 lb. greensand
- 2.5 lb. blood meal
- 21 lb. rock phosphate.......do I need so much?
- 21 lb. granite dust.........^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
- also have a 10 lb. bag of Espoma Garden-Tone 4-6-6 and 5 lb bag of Milorganite GardenCare 6-2-0...........would it be ok to throw these in too?