Bookmark and Share

Page 1 of 1[1]

Shasta's did not grow this year ??

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
SheilaB1266
Posted: Oct/25/2008 2:22 AM PST

I bought house with lovely perennial garden a few years ago. Large section of shasta daisies looked beautiful first two seasons. This past year, they did not grow at ALL? All of a sudden, a small patch of black-eyed susan type daisies appeared in the shasta area??? What happened?????
witt blog photos
Posted: Oct/25/2008 5:08 AM PST

Shastas need to be divided every few years.
As to the black-eyed susans, well, I surmise that some seeds blew into the area and took over.
Aurora blog photos
Posted: Oct/27/2008 5:51 AM PST

I have never had much luck with Shasta daisy- I usually treat mine as an annual. They grow and bloom well until the heat of summer- then they die off no matter how much I water them
witt blog photos
Posted: Oct/27/2008 12:26 PM PST

Maybe that's the problem. They prefer neglect. They don't care if they get watered and they especially don't like to be fertilized. Mine are in the hottest place in the universe, and I do nothing to them. They bloom like crazy when it's time and then that's it, but they have come back year after year after year. I just dig some for friends and that's the dividing that they get.
Aurora blog photos
Posted: Oct/29/2008 5:48 AM PST

Maybe that's why Witt.
The only reason I would water them is because they would get REALLY wilty...
gardendude blog photos
Posted: Oct/30/2008 8:57 AM PST

Same thing happened to mine. They bloomed wonderfully the first two seasons, then just kind of faded. They grew back this spring, but not nearly with the same vigor and profuse blooming they did the fist two years. The blooms were few and far between and were much smaller this time around. Did no fertilizing, and only watered when they really looked droopy. I'll divide them early next spring and see if that helps.
poeticpeony blog photos
Posted: Oct/30/2008 10:55 AM PST

Mine don't bloom until about August or September and there's still a bloom or two now, but most are brown and gone for the year. I don't do anything to mine as far as watering or fertilizing them. I have some in a bit of shade and the rest are in mostly sun. They've spread pretty well. I have some coreopsis mixed along with them so it starts blooming first and then the shastas start. They're both in bloom together for awhile. I have had some years the daisies didn't bloom a whole lot, but that's infrequent.
Foxglove blog photos
Posted: Jun/12/2010 6:55 PM PST

My shasta daisies come up nice and green. Then just before they are to bloom which is the middle of June, the leaves get covered with rust colored spots. Anyone know what this is and how to treat it?
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account