Whats a good spacing for my mums?

Most Active Topic:
Member Message
Tura
Posted: Oct/19/2008 3:14 PM PST

How far apart should i space my mums this fall? thanks Tura
EvonneStoryteller photos
Posted: Oct/21/2008 5:30 AM PST

Are you planting the kind of mums that come back every year? If not, I would just plant them so that they look nice.

If you are planting perennial mums, let us know what kind. Some of them get to be very, very large! Others are smaller.

I just plant mine so that they look nice since I plant them when they are full size and I can see how they look.
Tura
Posted: Oct/21/2008 12:58 PM PST

The perennial ones. Ill let you know later the exact kind when i look at the tag. One is a violet color one is yellow and 1 pink. The pink are taller. At my garden center Sunday they told me 2 feet apart because they will get bigger. Oh these are the 4 inch not 6 pack.
I'm also planting in front of these narcissus bulbs and pansy's til the bulbs grow and bloom. Got a bag of 32 narcissus for 14.99. I thought this was too good of a deal to pass up. Behind all these i have a red salvia a white lavender and a lavender blue lavender and a pineapple sage and on my fence honeysuckle. Oh and agaist right wall of house in shade in this same raised garden bed a 6 pack of blue primrose.
poeticpeony blog photos
Posted: Oct/22/2008 2:39 PM PST

I have a mum that's been in the ground several years and I pinched it back to about 5 inches about June and again around the beginning of September. It's about 2 1/2 feet tall, but it should have been supported. I just let it wander in my other flowers and it stuck the blooms up about a foot from the ground. I'd think the spacing you suggested would be fine. Your spring flowers will probably be long faded by the time the mums really get going and the mum will hide the narcissus while they're dying back naturally.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account