Page 1 of 1[1]

Hybiscus getting ready for the winter.

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
Kiara
Posted: Oct/15/2008 8:45 AM PST

I have planted hybiscus at my house for 5 years now. I have some that come back up every year and for some strange reason I can plant them on this one side of my house and they NEVER come back up.
Now I have 3 tree and 8 plants. Does any one know when you get them ready for winter? How far do I cut them back? What do I do to protect them and how do I protect the trees?
I have had vegetable gardens for several years and I have no problem with them. However trying to plant flowers that come up every year is getting to be a real pain to me. I love these hybiscus and I have a plant in a pot outside that I am bringing inside for the winter.
I guess I need a crash course on how to take care of these plants and trees..HELP
Aurora blog photos
Posted: Oct/15/2008 2:49 PM PST

I'm going to guess you are in a more Northern zone from where the location is.
I'm also going to guess that the plants that come back are on the SOUTH side of the house, probably near the foundation?
The only advice I can give you is to plant them on the south side of the house, and mulch the base heavily (as in 12 inches or more) with leaves.
They are late in emerging in spring, so don't give up on them too early
Find out what zone you are in, then when buying plants look for those that are hardy in your zone. Pretty much any online nursery, or USDA, has a zone finder on the site somewhere, just type in your zip-code and VOILA- there ya go!

Hope that helps And welcome to GG
Kiara
Posted: Oct/16/2008 10:00 AM PST

I have them planted all around my house. Three on the south side have come up every year. two on the south side haven't. the ones on the north side have come up every year. I live in Wapakoneta Ohio so ya were getting ready for winter. There is a lady in Lima Oh that has hybiscus as a hedge. It so beautiful. I love driving by it. Hers come up every year. I noticed she had cut her down and mulched it. I don't know how far to cut them down. all the way. Mine are still blooming and look beautiful, I hate to just cut them all off but if that is what I have to do I will do it. any help would be apperciated.
Aurora blog photos
Posted: Oct/17/2008 5:07 AM PST

I understand about hating to cut down things that are still blooming
Wait until after a killing frost, cut back to about 4-6 inches above the ground. And then MULCH!!!
I live in zone 8 so I don't have much trouble with winter die-off due to cold, just overly wet roots
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account