Page 1 of 2[12 Last

How to turn a vase into a planter??

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
rbcamastere
Posted: Oct/10/2008 9:45 AM PST

Hi All,

I have several indoor plants that are still in the boring ol' plastic containers that they originally came in. I have a love for vintage pots and vases and would love to utilize these for my indoor plants. The problem is that there are not drainage holes in these containers. Can anyone give me advice on how to turn these containers into suitable planters for my indoor plants?

Thanks!

Rebecca
yardgranny6 blog photos
Posted: Oct/10/2008 7:13 PM PST

If these are ceramic pots, you could drill holes in them with the correct drill bit. Your local Lowes type store should be able to help you.

Welcome To Garden Guides, post, blog and share your gardening with us.

Linda B from SC
rbcamastere
Posted: Oct/11/2008 7:27 PM PST

Hi Linda,

Thanks for the info! I'll try it. However, do you know if that is the only option? Just nervous to drill holes in some of these pots!

Rebecca
garden98011 blog photos
Posted: Oct/11/2008 9:50 PM PST

Hi Rebecca and welcome as well. I have drilled holes in many old containers. I criss-cross two pieces of masking tape over the area I am going to drill, use a slow speed & correct bit(as your hdwe person will rec.), works great every time.~Andrea
Rashell blog photos
Posted: Apr/14/2009 11:41 PM PST

If the plastic pot fits in the vase why not just put the pot in the vase? If the pot is too big wouldn't the small vase only kill the large plant?

My pothos is in a giant ugly plastic container but the thingy I'm using (no holes) covers it. I do the same with other plants.

PS. sometimes the plastic pots look nice too in a all dressed up fancy pretty room.

Attachments:

Rashell blog photos
Posted: Apr/14/2009 11:42 PM PST

Sheesh this is an old post!
poeticpeony blog photos
Posted: May/29/2009 10:44 AM PST

That's okay. I missed it the first time I think. That's a pretty pot and pothos.

About drilling ceramic and glass, I've been told that you should also put oil or water on the spot to be drilled to keep the bit cool so the pot doesn't shatter, too. I thik I'd try putting the plastic into the ceramic. That's what I do anyways so I can bring them inside and store what I need to easier, too.
MamaBearBSA photos
Posted: Jun/07/2009 5:58 PM PST

The pot idea would also prevent the problem of water draining out onto your furniture.
harley blog photos
Posted: Jun/07/2009 7:08 PM PST

When I use a planter that doesn't have any holes in the bottom for drainage, I fill the bottom of the pot with about an inch of stone. I am not on a schedule for watering, I water as needed. Haven't had a problem with over watering. I always water lightly, I feel, water less often, but not to the point that the plant is wilted. I would be afraid to drill holes in a container I really like. Try this trick with an old pot, get the hang of it first.
Rashell blog photos
Posted: Aug/06/2010 12:09 AM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by MamaBearBSA
The pot idea would also prevent the problem of water draining out onto your furniture.

or take the pot outdoors, water the plant, then bring the plant back in when the pot is not dripping water.

okay, see you back at this thread next year.
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account