Page 1 of 1[1]

adding bulbs to a bed that has some already

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
Deirdre blog photos
Posted: Oct/02/2008 12:24 AM PST

I ordered some more tulips for my tulip bed because there wasn't enough of them. How do you guys store them until winter? You think the garage is cool enough? I'm in zone 6B and it's getting to the mid 80s still during the day.

Also, when adding to a bed that already has bulbs, do you just very carefully dig a hole and hope you don't run into another one? lol

I am SO excited, this is going to look awesome in the spring. I think I bought about 70 more tulips and 50 crocuses
Aurora blog photos
Posted: Oct/02/2008 3:31 AM PST

Go ahead and plant them-
I guess just do it carefully LOL!
stereoman blog photos
Posted: Oct/02/2008 6:19 AM PST

Your bulbs will store in the ground just as well as they do in the garage, as long as the ground is not overly saturated before it gets cold. They won't start growing until they are triggered by the change from Winter to Spring. I wouldn't worry much about disturbing other bulbs that are already there. Their blooms are past, their foliage is gone, and they are dormant.

Do you have a bulb planting tool? They're very handy and they save you a lot of effort because they only dig up as much ground as is needed for each bulb.
Deirdre blog photos
Posted: Oct/02/2008 7:28 AM PST

Not yet but I am SO getting one. Last year was really hard to plant all those bulbs. Thanks for reminding me, I would have remembered when I got them and ready to put them in the ground and went "crap! ..."

I can wait for spring
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account