Page 1 of 1[1]

Restarting a compost pile

Most Active Topic:
Member Message
mollytommy
Posted: Oct/01/2008 8:11 AM PST

I got a compost bin last year and for the first few months was very diligent about adding, watering, and turning. Well, life happens and now a year later I have old veggies and old weeds and old leaves and one giant ant nest in my bin. Can I just start adding on top of this and incorporate it in or should the old stuff be removed and I start over?
Aurora blog photos
Posted: Oct/01/2008 3:25 PM PST

Just start adding again, doesn't matter at all
If the ants are fire ants, you may want to kill them first though- OUCH!!!
loulou photos
Posted: Oct/08/2008 4:51 PM PST

I agree with Aurora. You should be able to just start adding to it again without starting over. I know what you mean when you say that life happens. I take composting by spurts depending on what is going on and how much time I have.
gardenprincess photos
Posted: Oct/14/2008 8:27 PM PST

Try adding some garden soil - my secret ingredient! All those microbes really help.
TnTom blog photos
Posted: Apr/08/2010 9:09 AM PST

its my understanding that adding to an old pile restarts the clock. I personnally would dump the old and let it continue to finish and begin a new. You can start the new outside the tumbler and compost it on the ground depending on the circumstances. For the benefit of having finished compost sooner I wouldn't add to the old.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account