Page 1 of 1[1]

Soil/Fungus

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
Northeast photos
Posted: Sep/01/2008 7:06 AM PST

I know some fungi are good, and some not so good.

I use a lot of organics, and I often add them to my watering can. At the bottom of the can, I have sediment. When this sediment lays on top of the ground near my plants, sometimes some mold/fungus will grow in a day or so.

I usually turn it under, but I was wondering in anyone knows if this type of fungus is bad?
peterlink
Posted: Feb/11/2009 4:25 AM PST

I can tell you the very best fungi for most plants: Trichoderma harzianum, Trichoderma viride, Trichoderma koningii, and Trichoderma polysporum.
If you can't get them let me know.
Peter Link
Lastniceguy photos
Posted: Mar/06/2009 7:21 PM PST

Common corn meal.
CORM MEAL research showed that cornmeal contained beneficial organisms that were at least as effective as common chemical fungicides. Somehow cornmeal is able to attract a member of the Trichoderma fungus family, which is a good fungus that kills off disease causing fungi in a matter of weeks.

Dry: Work 2 pounds of cornmeal into the soil for every 100 square feet. Water well, to activate the fungus killing properties. One application per season is usually sufficient, but repeat applications won’t hurt anything.

Spray: What’s called ‘cornmeal juice’ can be made by soaking 1 cup of cornmeal in 1 gallon of water overnight. Strain the liquid and use as a spray on susceptible plants.
witt blog photos
Posted: Mar/07/2009 2:33 AM PST

Thanks for that information. I've never heard of doing that.

This isn't a joke question, but would grits work the same?
Lastniceguy photos
Posted: Mar/07/2009 10:11 AM PST

I have no idea but I think i''d eat the grits ;o)
Lastniceguy photos
Posted: Mar/07/2009 12:40 PM PST

Just a heads up on Corn Meal...not to be confused with CORN GLUTEN.
CORN GLUTEN will keep seeds from germinating FOREVER!
Northeast photos
Posted: Mar/25/2009 9:07 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by Lastniceguy
Common corn meal.
CORM MEAL research showed that cornmeal contained beneficial organisms that were at least as effective as common chemical fungicides. Somehow cornmeal is able to attract a member of the Trichoderma fungus family, which is a good fungus that kills off disease causing fungi in a matter of weeks.

Dry: Work 2 pounds of cornmeal into the soil for every 100 square feet. Water well, to activate the fungus killing properties. One application per season is usually sufficient, but repeat applications won’t hurt anything.

Spray: What’s called ‘cornmeal juice’ can be made by soaking 1 cup of cornmeal in 1 gallon of water overnight. Strain the liquid and use as a spray on susceptible plants.

Thanks...I used cornmeal for the first time last season. I was hoping for some help w/my early blight, as my heirloom tomatoes have become a real challenge.

I used the cornmeal in the fall, and then again in the spring. I still ended up fighting blight all summer. I believe corn is a natural antifungal...it seems to be in footsoak powders...
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account