Bookmark and Share

Page 1 of 1[1]

ID Wild Grapes in TX

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
cchoelscher
Posted: Aug/24/2008 2:29 PM PST

I found these vines growing near my home in Arlington, TX. I believe they are grapes, but they seem to be different. One has clusters of berries & heart shape leaves. The other has single berry and triple pointed leaves. I wanted to know if they are grapes, what variety they are. I'm assuming they are edible. Their leaves just don't look like normal grape leaves so I wanted to check and make sure I'm not confusing them with something that may not be edible.

Thanks.

Attachments:

Rashell blog photos
Posted: Aug/24/2008 3:06 PM PST

maybe one of the wild mustang grapes?
Rashell blog photos
Posted: Aug/28/2008 10:12 PM PST

No one guessed this yet?

I still think it looks like the mustang grape but not sure. Second opinions?

didn't have time to post this last time.

"Eight different leaf shapes from
the same vine of Vitis mustangensis"
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/wineblog8.asp

Attachments:

stereoman blog photos
Posted: Aug/29/2008 8:32 AM PST

It could be kudzu.
cchoelscher
Posted: Aug/29/2008 12:15 PM PST

Through many online searches I've found out that the one on the right is moonberries (poisonous). They sometimes grow near wild grapes and can be mistaken for them. I looked at the seed (apparently that's a good way to tell) and it looked just like a moonberry seed that I found online. I found both vines growing in the same bush. Scary that these 2 grow so close together!

I still think the one on the left is probably a wild grape...not sure which variety. The leaves are confusing me. Nice to know that one plant can have different leaves though. Thanks, Rashell. I've been wondering about that.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account