Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
granny1961 blog
Posted: Aug/18/2008 6:27 PM PST

do mums come back every yaer if so what kind do i need to buy i live in ky
EvonneStoryteller photos
Posted: Aug/18/2008 6:53 PM PST

I am in a planting zone of 5-6, so I think we have about the same conditions you probably do in Kentucky.

Some hardy mums come back every year. The thing is, they need time to establish deep root systems to survive the winter season. The ones that get planted in the fall do not have so much of an opportunity to establish themselves. If I have a very mild winter, the mums come back. If the winter is harsh, I tend to lose all the new ones and some of the old.

I noticed that White Flower Farm sold their mums early in the catalog so that they could have the time to establish roots.
witt blog photos
Posted: Aug/19/2008 5:57 AM PST

I planted mine last year sort of late in the season, but they came back and bloomed already. I wasn't diligent about cutting them back early this summer. We did have a mild winter last year, though, so I guess it does depend on how well they are mulched.
EvonneStoryteller photos
Posted: Aug/19/2008 5:57 PM PST

South Carolina is probably zone 7 or 8. Between that and a mild winter, I am not surprised they came back.
aimee blog photos
Posted: Aug/21/2008 10:24 PM PST

I've been seeing mums for sale already but was thinking it was too early and hot to plant them. Guess not. Better get some this weekend.
EvonneStoryteller photos
Posted: Aug/22/2008 6:13 AM PST

I cannot recall what date you can plant the forced mums out without them burning. I believe it is sometime in the beginning of September.

Mums blossom when the daylight hours shorten. The ones blossoming in August are forced by covering the greenhouses to restrict their light time. So if you put those out in full sun conditions too soon, their blossoms go by quickly.

Does anyone know the date? My greenhouse guy used to tell me each year, but he closed.
fairygarden blog photos
Posted: Aug/22/2008 7:54 AM PST

In my zone 8 garden, mums use to bloom twice a year. I would get a good spring bloom then more in the fall. I dont have any now, but may get some of those pretty pink or red ones this year.
minnesota_girl blog photos
Posted: Aug/27/2008 2:42 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by EvonneStoyteller
Some hardy mums come back every year. The thing is, they need time to establish deep root systems to survive the winter season.

I didn't know that! I had bought some and was going to wait and put them in when I took my gladiolus out. Thank you for great information. I also came with a question. Some of mine lost their color. They were purple and now they are white. My red and yellow ones have held their color but the purple ones are white with just speckles of purple. Why?
EvonneStoryteller photos
Posted: Aug/27/2008 3:00 PM PST

I guess all the confusion is how they sell the mums in the fall. White Flower Farm sells the plants in the spring. You plant them in the spring, they grow all season, and they blossom in the fall! They have more established root systems from being planted all year.

Chances are that the plants that are being sold right now are forced mums. They are stimulated to blossom in light controlled environments. (Most likely by covering the greenhouse during certain hours.)
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account