Bookmark and Share

Page 1 of 1[1]

What is this berry?

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
daisy4given
Posted: Aug/11/2008 5:53 PM PST

I found a bush with these berries in the woods behind our house in early August. We live in West-Central Ohio. The berries are partially yellow and partially red, although they may not be fully ripe yet. The berries are about a quarter inch long, and sort of oblong, and grow off the plant in little clusters, that almost look like wagon wheel spokes. The leaves are sort of maple-shaped, but about half the size of a maple leaf. The bush that they grow on is about 4-5 feet high, and there were LOTS of these berries.
Sorry the picture's not very good - i picked it, then spent hours looking on the internet to figure out what it was, so my specimen got wilted. I can take more pictures if it is difficult to identify. Thank you!

Attachments:

EvonneStoryteller photos
Posted: Aug/11/2008 7:06 PM PST

How about a highbush cranberry?

http://www.boughennurseries.com/highbush_cranberry .htm
ga_girl photos
Posted: Aug/11/2008 7:34 PM PST

It certainly looks like highbush cranberry which is a type of Viburnum. The native one used to be called Viburnum trilobum, now it is called Viburnum opulus L. var. americanum. The non-native one from Europe is Viburnum opulus L. var. opulus (obviously they are closely related!).
daisy4given
Posted: Aug/12/2008 11:50 AM PST

Thanks so much to both of you, i think that's it!
simplejohn
Posted: Aug/28/2008 8:44 AM PST

I have an almost identical looking tree growing along my fence, but the berries have turned a dark purple. Their juice is clear and they have small seeds. Are they related in any way? They look rather tempting and I almost wanted to taste one the other day. But I am trying to be cautious. The tree is about 7 feet tall with a cluster of trunk stalks almost more like a bush. The leaves show an uncanny resemblance to yours. What am I looking at?

Attachments:

ga_girl photos
Posted: Aug/28/2008 4:33 PM PST

simplejohn, your plant has a compound leaf (a single leaf made up several smaller parts), so it is really not the same. I think yours may be Ampelopsis arborea, also known as peppervine. Not a tree, but as you can see by the name "arborea" it can be considered tree like. It's a native plant.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account