Which plants do squirrels eat in your garden?

Most Active Topic:
Member Message
Aurora blog photos
Posted: Aug/14/2008 7:02 PM PST

The only thing I can think keeps them from eating my plants is the quintillions of acorns that my huge oak tree produces for them. They don't bother the bird feeders either... Maybe I have really weird squirrels, or stupid ones
pinkdamsel photos
Posted: Aug/17/2008 11:11 AM PST

funny aurora,
I've got a water oak directly behind my courtyard. Noticed last year, they are producing acorns. Maybe I will get some relief when the acorns come back this year?

Others, what plants are squirrels eating in your yard?
karenbrn
Posted: Aug/17/2008 5:30 PM PST

Believe it or not, the squirrels have been taking my ripe tomatoes totally off my container plants by the side of my house and eating them like an apple!! I thought I was dreaming yesterday when I saw it... I'm going to keep my camera phone ready for the next time. One little guy has also been rummaging and digging through all my flower containers in my front yard and on my porch. He hasn't eaten anything in the pot, just dug holes in anticipation of finding something. Hopefulling he won't realize I have most of my tomatoes in a garden in the back. (The bunnies already found the garden and we will have no zucchini's this year.)
sassmuffin blog photos
Posted: Aug/17/2008 7:57 PM PST

Yesterday I watched one of our neighborhood gang kitties climb my neighbors fence, trot across the yard, climb the next fence and trot off down the hill with a full size squirrel hanging from his mouth! I told my DH, he immediately told me to give him so food to keep him around. Which I did, he has been to snack 3 times in 2 days now. This guy is a hunter, he mass murdered 3 bunnies in July. all that was left were paws, guts and a nose.... I named him smokey, the other is ol tom.
pinkdamsel photos
Posted: Aug/18/2008 12:20 PM PST

Hi Karen,
Please do have the camera ready, I want to see this. And yes, I do believe it, those squirrels will do anything.

sassmuff- you have a good cat there! A real hunter for sure. Our community cat (neighborhood cat) is not affected by anything. He just watches the squirrels and birds too. The only thing I've seen Panther go after are lizzards. He loves to chase them.

What are squirrels eating in your yard?
foginator
Posted: Sep/05/2008 9:35 AM PST

that is probably how the squirrels feel when we blanket fields of trees, including the ones we will not use.
pinkdamsel photos
Posted: Sep/13/2008 1:21 PM PST

Well, after high winds from Gustav and Ike, would you believe most of the squirrel nests in the water oak right behind my yard remain unscaved by those winds! They are remarkable archetics(ph) for sure. Darn.
txrose blog photos
Posted: Sep/14/2008 8:12 PM PST

The pecans, acorns, bulbs, mushrooms, mulberries, I think that is all at least that is all I see them eating. I never had them to eat my tomatoes, bell peppers or even flowers except for the iris bulbs but I tossed them out anyway this year. I guess they stay well fed. Try planting enough of everything for everyone and maybe you will get some.
pinkdamsel photos
Posted: Oct/06/2008 3:42 PM PST

hey txrose,
I'll bet your squirrels are quite healthy!

Okay, here's the latest. Before Hurricane Gustav, I had 8 or so buds on my passionflower. When I returned from evacuation, there were no buds or flowers. I schrugged it off thinking bad weather right? My passionflower luckily budded out recently. Would you believe I caught a squirrel attempting to take buds? I had 7 buds this time around, they ate 3 so I had the privilege of enjoying 4 lady lavender passionflower blooms.

Then this morning, I saw a squirrel digging up my mandevilla by the root going after the root. Can you believe it. I immediately covered the roots with more potting soil. These squirrels really do frustrate me so much.
cgar blog photos
Posted: Oct/08/2008 3:20 PM PST

So far no squirrel damage here. But in Jacksonville they would go after everything, including my bonsai! What I did next wasn't pretty, but it was effective. I took a bunch of 6 - 7 inch longs nails and literally spiked the dirt around all my plants. (pointy side up). They tried a few times but eventually gave up. And since the nails were rusty, I have a good source of iron! LOL Now, here in Alachua they haven't damaged the plants but I have found hickory nuts hidden in the sunflower seed bowls. Go figure!
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account