LOOK what I saw today!

Most Active Topic:
Member Message
carolyncat353 blog photos
Posted: Mar/19/2010 5:45 AM PST

I think that's some type of ant, and not a termite. The first is a dragonfly or Mosquito Hawk. Good bug.
Rashell blog photos
Posted: Mar/19/2010 9:45 AM PST

The first one is a mosquito but I'm wondering if it is the "good kind". I'll look up Mosquito Hawk. Hawk sounds good to me!

The second one is not an ant. too big to be one. the grout for the tiles is 1/4 inch.

Edit: ooops you wrote "good bug", sorry missed that part.
Rashell blog photos
Posted: Mar/21/2010 12:32 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by carolyncat353
I think that's some type of ant, and not a termite. The first is a dragonfly or Mosquito Hawk. Good bug.

many agree with you carolyn...they say it is an ant also. sheesh, never seen an ant that big! I and some of my buddies compared it to a Western Termite.

Termites do not have "Elbows" on the antenna like an ant does (mine has elbows). Also, an ant's body is shaped more like my insect is shaped.

thanks carolyn you were the first to id it!

would be nice to find out what kind of ant it is though.
Rashell blog photos
Posted: Mar/21/2010 2:05 PM PST

Queen Ant!?

The image is of a Queen red fire ant.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/world/new-weapon-a gainst-fire-ants-turns-them-into-headless-zombies- 20090514-b3kz.html

Attachments:

Posted: Mar/21/2010 6:21 PM PST

I didn't think Fire Ants had made it to California, yet. If you have a mound of them-KILL THEM QUICKLY!!! Doesn't look like a fire ant to me either, but I never look at them "close up" (lol)! There are many, many different kinds of ants, a few good-most not people friendly.
Rashell blog photos
Posted: Mar/21/2010 6:27 PM PST

You know, up to now (i think 3 years) I've only seen the big black ants (fire ant size). Never red. What do you mean you didn't think they have made it here yet? what do you know that i dont? YIKES! lol

Edit: sorry i made a mistake, it is red ants I've always seen in our area but I noticed a lot of black ants this year. no red ants yet.
Rashell blog photos
Posted: Mar/21/2010 6:29 PM PST

PS this one was in the house! okay, where are you carolyn? heehee
Rashell blog photos
Posted: May/08/2010 3:22 AM PST

Try to sleep after seeing this little guy at 3:00 a.m., I dare ya!

Attachments:

Posted: May/08/2010 5:24 AM PST

Yuk!-I hope you smushed him! In reality-spiders are greatly responsible for a lot of pollinating that goes on . Sorry, I didn't see your post about the Fire Ants until now. I am in S.W. Louisiana. Fire ants arrived by ship either to the port Of Mobile, or the Port of New Orleans,many years ago, and have proceeded to take over the lower 1/3 of the United States. Their sting burns (like fire), and they have been known to kill new born calves, and birds that nest on the ground if they are born or hatched within a short distance of their nests. They get in your flower beds, flower pots, under things when it rains-they're a nasty bug that is impossible to erradicate entirely.
Rashell blog photos
Posted: May/08/2010 1:17 PM PST

took you long enough to reply! just kidding, thanks for the info. carolyn!

Nope didn't kill it, i probably couldn't if I wanted to.

The lense i used zooms in real close from a distant plus i did some cropping in the first pic.... couldn't get too close to an inch and a half spider, thank you very much.
Page 5 of 14 First 34567 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account