Page 1 of 1[1]

Cherry Tomato recipies?

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
Family1991 photos
Posted: Jul/28/2008 7:57 AM PST

Hey all,

Well, I was hopiing someone might be able to tell me if you can use cherry tomatoes in like salsa or other stuff....Spagetti sauce. We are trying to find ways to use all our cherry tomatoes. I have them all over and while we all go out and eat them off the vine and use them in our salads I thought for sure I should be able to use them elsewhere? What do you think?
KeyWee blog photos
Posted: Jul/28/2008 8:27 AM PST

You could certainly use them in salsa. There may be too much skin involved to make sauce.
Or ..... you could try my recipe for BLT Nibbles (go to www.recipezaar.com and type in recipe #19042). I have been asked to make these a billion times.
Family1991 photos
Posted: Jul/29/2008 7:37 AM PST

Thanks KeyWee! I think I am going to try that one! Don't think I have enough ripe at one time to do salsa anyway! Although I would still like to try.
KeyWee blog photos
Posted: Jul/29/2008 7:55 AM PST

You are very welcome ~ but DON'T get frustrated the first time you make them. Kind of time-consuming until you get used to making them. Anyway, they are worth it ~ everyone loves them.
Tip ~ I use the handle end of a teaspoon to scoop out the pulp ~ works great!
Enjoy!!
Family1991 photos
Posted: Jul/29/2008 2:59 PM PST

Thanks for the tip! With my luck I would have done it the hardest way possible.
aimee blog photos
Posted: Aug/05/2008 2:27 PM PST

Do you have a food mill? You can get one at any restaurant or kitchen supply store, they're not expensive. It looks like a collander with a spinning blade in it that you turn with a handle. It pushes food through the little holes. If you put tomatoes through it, the pulp is squeezed out while the skin and seeds are left behind. Perfect for turning cherries into spaghetti sauce! Just cook a pot of tomatoes in a little water until the skins burst and they are soft, put them through the mill, and continue your sauce with the fresh tomato puree.

Here's a recipe, feel free to adjust to your taste:

1 qt cherry tomatoes
2T good olive oil
2 or 3 cloves garlic - or more to taste I use tons
1 small onion, diced
pinch red pepper flakes
1 c any other vegetables you might want in your sauce - peppers, mushrooms, eggplant, zucchini, etc
1/4 c dry white wine (optional, but it makes a really good tasting sauce)
Salt and pepper to taste
2T minced fresh herbs - parsley, basil, oregano
Parmesan or Pecorino cheese

Heat a quart of salted water to boiling and drop in the cherry tomatoes. When the skins pop (about a minute) drain them and put through the food mill. Set the pulp to the side.

In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat and gently fry the minced garlic for about a minute. Let it sizzle, but don't let it turn brown. Add the onion and red pepper flakes and fry gently for another five minutes, until the onion is soft. Add any other vegetables you want, fry for five more minutes, stirring occassionally so nothing gets brown. Turn the heat to high and add the white wine. Let it cook until it's almost dry. Add your tomato pulp, and salt and pepper to taste. Turn the heat to low and simmer until the vegetables are tender and the sauce has the consistency you want.

Last, taste again and add more salt if needed, stir in your minced fresh herbs, and toss the sauce with pasta. Top with cheese.

If you want sausage or beef in your sauce, add it with the onion.
Family1991 photos
Posted: Aug/06/2008 6:05 AM PST

Thank You for the recipe! It sounds great. No I do not have a mill but I have to go out today and I will see if I can find one. I can't wait to try the recipe. I haven't been out in the garden for acouple of days so I should have at least the called for amout of tomatoes! Normally my middle son is out in the garden keeping an eye out for all my ripes ones but he is up north at his grandpas for the week. It's so quiet here! And I still have two kids left here!
aimee blog photos
Posted: Aug/06/2008 10:09 PM PST

LOL sounds like your middle son is the noisy one!

I was the sous/head chef for an authentic Italian restaurant for a couple years so I know a ton of pasta sauce recipes. The method I described above can be used with fresh tomato pulp or canned tomatoes. If you are using canned, it workes best with a combination of diced tomatoes and tomato puree. Follow the method, and you can add whatever meats or vegetables you like, make it spicy, add anchovy etc.

You can also coat whole cherry tomatoes with a goodly puddle of olive oil, salt, and pepper on a cookie sheet and roast them in the oven until they pop and are soft, and toss the oiley tomatoey result with pasta, fresh basil, and cheese. Parmesan works great, or get some balls of fresh mozzarella and dice them into chunks. That's different and really good.
Family1991 photos
Posted: Aug/07/2008 5:51 AM PST

That sounds great since we are a fan of pastas. I have had a problem with finding a sauce that I like. I guess it would help if knew what to add to sauces to make them taste right. All that I have tried always taste so sweet and I just want something that I can adjust to make it my way.

I can't wait to try this recipe. We need afew more tomatoes and then we are going to give it a shot. I have always been more of a baker than a cook. My husband has this way of adding a bunch of things that make no sence and making them all taste great together but he doesn't do it often enough! That leaves the untalented one(me) to do the cooking. I'm crossing my fingers!

Thanks again for the ideas!!!!!!!
aimee blog photos
Posted: Aug/07/2008 9:33 AM PST

Pasta Sauce --

Just for the love of god and all that is human don't start with "pasta sauce" in a can or jar. There's so much sugar in it you'll never get rid of that gloopy sweet taste. And dried basil or "Italian Seasoning" is GROOOOOS!! It makes everything taste like Prego. In the winter when I don't have fresh, I'll just use parsley or make a different sauce. It's so easy to start with olive oil, garlic, onion, and tomato as above, and then adjust the salt and spiciness to your own taste. You can add sugar if you want, but at least you are in control.

If you want to really talk about pasta sauces in depth shoot me a private message. There are a few methods (cooked tomato sauce, cream sauce, red wine sauce, pesto, fresh tomato sauce, oil based sauce, ragu) that can turn into literally thousands of dishes. Once you learn the methods you are set to go crazy with whatever's in season.

Check out www.nanis.com. That's where I worked. Everything had to be totally authentic, I learned a LOT about Italian cooking with all fresh veggies.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account