Bookmark and Share

Page 1 of 1[1]

Can I plant my Acuba cuttings?

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
gardendude blog photos
Posted: Jul/18/2008 7:35 AM PST

I have some Acuba cuttings that I've kept in a cup of water for several weeks, and they now have roots. Is it too late in the summer now to plant them in the ground? Should I just put them in a container and keep it indoors until next spring? All my books say they are very tough shrubs, hence why I wonder if I can go ahead and plant it, or at least put it in a pot.
Aurora blog photos
Posted: Jul/18/2008 8:06 AM PST

I took cuttings of my acuba as well. Boy are they taking their time to root, but are finally doing so.
In answer to your question- I am going to wait until spring to plant them out. Most of the propagating tips I have read suggest over wintering shrub cuttings in a greenhouse or cold frame. In my case they will make nice houseplants
Whenever I root cuttings in water, I plant the cuttings into small pots and keep them inside until they are obviously holding their own and growing. I then move them to the front porch where they get bright indirect. All of my current cuttings will then be overwintered in my house as I don't have a greenhouse before I plant them in their final homes this spring.
Gives them a longer time to establish their root systems
gardendude blog photos
Posted: Jul/19/2008 9:54 AM PST

I don't have many spots in my house near windows that get a lot of light, so it will have to put up with quite a bit of shade and very filtered light. Will that be ok?
Aurora blog photos
Posted: Jul/19/2008 10:50 AM PST

It should be- they are shrubs that like the shade.
gardendude blog photos
Posted: Jul/22/2008 8:34 AM PST

The lady at the nursery said that Aucuba cuttings (once they've rooted) can actually be planted straight in the ground, even right now in the thick of July. She told me they're generally pretty tough and will start settling in fairly quickly. So I got some good organic soil mix and stuck 'em in the ground, under good shade. Will see what happens!
Aurora blog photos
Posted: Jul/22/2008 8:49 AM PST

Awesome! Let me know how they do
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account