Page 1 of 2[12 Last

How late can I plant green beans?

Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
KimJS
Posted: Jul/14/2008 11:34 AM PST

Hi everyone,
I'm wondering how late could I plant greenbeans? I'm in zone 5. I always plant lots of greenbeans with great success but this year with all the rain & cool weather, our dog & our neighbor's kid tromping everything down I barely have a row & I always can as much as possible. Is there such a thing as beans in the fall for my location?

By the way, not that it matters much now but I've re-planted three times & am getting a little frustrated I've never had such a lousy crop
wolfwalkerpa photos
Posted: Jul/14/2008 12:50 PM PST

I'm not in your location zone 5 in Pa but i planted green beans last week i had the seeds cant lose much.
stereoman blog photos
Posted: Jul/14/2008 2:39 PM PST

Green beans don't mature well in really hot dry midsummer weather, but they do great any other time up to frost. I do my first planting in early May, then I do succession planting from early July to mid August. I've just pulled up my first planting, just this past weekend. My second planting will have flower buds in a few days. My third planting just got their first true leaves. My fourth planting just went in yesterday.

I love fresh green beans! BTW they germinate FAST in hot summer soil. Wet 'em good, and you'll see their little stems pop up in three or four days. WOW!
wolfwalkerpa photos
Posted: Jul/14/2008 5:01 PM PST

stereoman, I hope you have a extra garden near you because I'm moving to it. lol Tired of others having tomatoes,beans etc before me. lol lol lol
KimJS
Posted: Jul/14/2008 7:32 PM PST

Thanks for your replies! I think I'll get more seeds & give it a try, what could it hurt?

I too am tired of everyone else's veggies being ready before mine ~ guess good things come to those who wait
flowerlady blog photos
Posted: Jul/17/2008 7:52 AM PST

Well, I, too am glad to hear this I will plant more green beans, too! Anyone having problems with birds? There is a mulberry bush/tree at the corner of my property near my garden and birds, squirrels, rabbits and skunks just love the berries. Too late to cut it down and it does provide some shade. Have put some netting over my garden but I am afraid something is goin to get caught in the netting..
fschukar
Posted: Jul/22/2008 10:54 AM PST

Most of the bush varieties of beans take about 60 days to mature. Depending on the length of your growing season there should be time. In the Valley here, the row-crop farms pick their last in October, often in the mud. So, I'd say go for it.
Fritz
stereoman blog photos
Posted: Jul/22/2008 12:29 PM PST

My second-crop bush beans are just beginning to flower. My third crop has two or three sets of true leaves now. I'm thinking of planting more where my giant zucchini was. Our first frost date used to be Oct 10 but it hasn't been that early in ten years. Besides, armed with Hillbilly Bill's Tried and True Frost Damage Prevention Method, I can cheat the season another two weeks longer!
sassmuffin blog photos
Posted: Jul/22/2008 3:27 PM PST

If you do cut it down, (we just got rid of 4 last year) be careful. Unless you use stump killer, and powered and follow the directions it will grow back. The main one in our yard had been cut down to the ground on 2 other occasions since we lived here and it always regrew. Last year when CB got rid of them for me, I used the stump killer spray and powder. I didn't drill holes in the largest on and fill with kerosene, and this year There were two stems popping out. I got rid of them fast and finished the job. If you look closely around my yard you will see several clumps left that were too deep to dig out. I watch them closely for signs of life. My south neighbor has 2 unwanted mulberry bushes on here property because of that one main tree.
sassmuffin blog photos
Posted: Jul/22/2008 3:33 PM PST

Okay Stereoman give, what is "Hillbilly Bill's Tried and True Frost Damage Prevention Method"?
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account