Page 1 of 1[1]

How do I get rid of sticker bushes!

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
travlingypsy photos
Posted: Jul/09/2008 3:35 PM PST

On my fence line in the back they have taken over. They are taking up at least 8 feet hight and 3 feet wide of space. Mind you they do give some good privacy. But they have to go! We took our heavy duty weed eater with the thick blade to the bushes but it broke. Just stopped running and now we cant get it to start up. So they have won that round. What els can I do?
carolyncat353 blog photos
Posted: Jul/09/2008 7:09 PM PST

Those bushes with thorns are so hard to get rid of. I had some on the fence between me and the Pitt Bull-but he's moved, so I'm chopping them down. I take my loping shears and cut em in sections (wear long pants, long sleeve shirt and leather gloves), pull em out, and then cut as close as possible to the ground. I bought some brush/shrub killer (make sure to get brush and shrub, it's stronger than regular round-up), use a very small paint brush and paint the root stub, full strength. I pour mine in a cup so it is easier to handle. They will probably come back several times before you totally eradicate them, but keep on painting them, you will eventually kill them. Dispose of 'carefully' in a trash container, or bag, but that's a job by itself~!
witt blog photos
Posted: Jul/10/2008 2:54 AM PST

I believe that cat has hit it on the head. It is a tough job, but not impossible. Good luck. Let us know of your eventual success.
CountryKitty
Posted: Jul/10/2008 5:11 AM PST

Ditto what Carolyncat said. I've used a similar method to get rid of big tangles of wild rose that just take over out here. I just keep cutting deeper and deeper into the tangled thorny mess with long loppers to get it down to nearly ground level.

The only difference for me is that I don't like poisons so I dig up the bases--hard work at times, but I don't mind.
fairygarden blog photos
Posted: Jul/10/2008 8:56 AM PST

We cut, dig and poison too. Then they grow back. You just gotta keep at it. Those roots go on forever!
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account