Page 1 of 1[1]

Euonymus

Most Active Topic:
Member Message
judyintheyard
Posted: Jul/04/2008 4:46 AM PST

I have 2 Euonymus they seem to be infested with flies. One is in our front yard and the other is at the side of the house against a fence. Is this normal? I have never noticed anything like this before.
witt blog photos
Posted: Jul/04/2008 9:46 AM PST

By flies, I assume you mean like regular flies and not white flies. I have no idea why they would infest your shrubs. If I find out anything, I'll let you know.
lcaubble
Posted: Jul/06/2008 1:44 PM PST

I have had the same problem on 2 euonymus bushes. There is nothing dead around them, and no food or sweet liquids have spilled on or nearby them. It is to the point now that both bushes sound like beehives. We have tried fly traps, Sevin, even spraying vinegar, and nothing is working. We never had this problem last year on these bushes. Please help if you find a solution!
mch5683
Posted: Jul/11/2008 4:30 PM PST

I have the SAME exact probloem! I have been trying to research and I have found nothing. My two bushes are right in the path to go in my front door. When you walk by it sounds like a swarm. Its pretty gross. Nothing seems to be killing them....HELP!
loulou photos
Posted: Jul/12/2008 11:42 AM PST

I have a huge problem with scale on my euonymus. I love these shrubs but I think I am fighting a losing battle. I have tried everything including dormant oil sprays and a Beyer systemic treatment. I have the same shrubs in another area of my yard that are not bothered (yet)but I am almost to the point of digging the shrubs up and planting something else. Does anyone have advice?
gstegman
Posted: Jul/25/2008 1:56 PM PST

I am having the same problem and after some research I have found that these shrubs pollinate primarily via flies rather than via bees. The best I have read is you can spray the plant with diluted dish soap, which may cause discoloration, trim the flowers from the bush or just ride it out.

But it's really super annoying having all those flies
tnjtrees photos
Posted: Jul/26/2008 12:35 PM PST

What a common problem, most everyone I know that have mature euonymus have reported the same problems. And unless you can afford a professional sprayer every few weeks the problems remain, right. Even if you buy that expensive systemic, and apply to the roots, These problems just seem to remain.

About five years ago I was informed of a couple of home remedys that not only work, they are also fairly inexpensive. Both were given to me from a lady named Lynnette M. from Burley, Idaho. Lynnette just happenes to be an Advanced Master Gardener. I have passed both on to many of my own customers, not yet have I had complaints on how they worked. Hopefully it will do the same for you.

For scale, In a regular weed style sprayer mix and apply the following.
1/2 to 2/3 cup bleach
1/8 to 1/4 cup Dawn dish soap
1 and 1/2 to 2 gallons HOT water
Mix well, spray librally to infested limbs and trunk of tree or shrub, if leaves are infested as well dilute mixture, or spray minimal amounts on folliage. NOTE: spray in coolest time of day to avoid sunburning leaves.

A couple days later blast infested area with water to remove scale castings. Repeat if necessary after five days.

For fly infestation.
mix following in large jug or pitcher.
3 cups granulated sugar
1 cup cider vinigar
2 cups water

Using 20 oz. or 1 litter bottles, cut two holes on the sides of bottle, near the top. next pour mixture in bottles, about one to one and a half cups in each bottle. Next run twine or string,(heavy enough to hold bottle and mixture) through the two holes. depending on size of bush or shrub, place one to three bottles inside bush, and tie bottle to a small branch. NOTE: Foe apearance purposes, try to hide bottles with folliage. Dump and refill bottles biweekly or as needed.
This mixture also works well for keeping worms out of fruit, instead of spraying.

I hope this helps, if not please let me know as I do rely on the feed back for future purposes

Best of luck, Jared. T-N-J
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account