Freezing Radishes

Most Active Topic:
Member Message
cloggingrandma photos
Posted: Jun/29/2008 12:06 PM PST

Anyone here ever try freezing radishes?
Canned_Nerd photos
Posted: Jun/29/2008 6:18 PM PST

Nah, they don't freeze well in MHO, but to do so the radishes should be scrubbed and washed with cold water and the tops and bottoms should be trimmed. Do not peel the prepared radish; leave the skin intact. It is important to know that frozen radishes have a different texture from fresh radishes due to the fact that radishes are high in water content. Therefore, it is important to cut them into smaller pieces before freezing them. If the radishes are kept whole and frozen, the hard outer skin will split open and cause more textural defects. Blanching needs to be done on radishes. Blanching the cut pieces in boiling water for 2-3 minutes should be sufficient to slow down enzymatic reactions in the plant tissue and keep the color vibrant. After blanching, place the vegetable in ice cold water and drain well. Place in appropriate freezer bag and place in freezer..

Personally I slice and dehydrate mine if I have some that I want to last beyond my immediate use.
boodlesmom1990 blog
Posted: Aug/03/2011 11:57 AM PST

How do you dehydrate them and store them? How long will they keep? I've never done it before and I have a bunch of radishes. Thanks!

Tera
Canned_Nerd photos
Posted: Aug/04/2011 9:08 AM PST

I also dehydrate my radishes -- slicing and placing on dehydrator trays at about 130°F. No blanching required and they will last for years in a sealed container away from moisture.
txrose blog photos
Posted: Oct/14/2011 4:07 PM PST

OR you can make radish chips (& rutabaga , beet etc.)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Slice radishes into very thin chips and spread on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
Lightly mist radish slices with cooking spray and then sprinkle with salt and pepper. (if using other seasonings, now is the time to add them).
Bake for 10 minutes, flip, and bake for another 5-10 minutes or until crisp. Time may vary so watch these after flipping.

I dehydrate mine and they last as long as people in the house don't know they are there.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account