Page 1 of 1[1]

Can you freeze radishes?

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
cloggingrandma photos
Posted: Jun/29/2008 10:00 AM PST

I know that they can be canned, someone I worked with did that. But can you freeze them? How long would you blanche them for? I never thought of doing either before, But I have so many we just can't eat them all raw. I did make stir fry for supper last night and tried radishes and kalrobi both in it. In stead of sauteeing (?) them, I should have steamed them. They lost a little flavor and were a little too soft, not mushy though. But along with the onions, brocoli and peppers, it was pretty good. Would appreciate input on the freezing idea. Thanks.
txrose blog photos
Posted: Jun/29/2008 10:42 AM PST

I think if you freeze them they become mushy. I know that you can eat the leaves in salads etc. and when you harvest the radish make sure to separate the leaves from the bulb to store as they will last longer...and being a radish lover I know that if you think you become addicted you may lack iron or magnesium lol....if you go to the forums there is a topic under The Kitchen Garden, called canning freezing and preserving you may find a quicker answer there.

oh you can make a pickle
1 1/2 pounds daikon radish, peeled
1 bunch red radishes (about 10), trimmed and each cut lengthwise into 6 wedges
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1/4 cup rice vinegar (not seasoned)
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon very thin matchsticks of peeled ginger PreparationHalve daikon lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Transfer to a large bowl and toss with radishes and kosher salt. Let stand at room temperature, stirring occasionally, 1 hour.

Drain in a colander (do not rinse) and return to bowl.

Add vinegar, sugar, and ginger, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Transfer to an airtight container and chill, covered, shaking once or twice, at least 12 hours more (to allow flavors to develop).

Cooks' note: Pickled radishes can be chilled up to 3 weeks.

OR

Steamed Radishes with Lemon Dill Butter Recipe courtesy Gourmet magazine

1 pound radishes, trimmed and sliced thin (about 4 cups)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, or to taste
4 teaspoons finely chopped fresh dill

In a steamer set over boiling water steam the radishes, covered, for 5 minutes, or until they are just tender. In a large skillet melt the butter over moderately low heat, add the radishes, the lemon juice, the dill, and salt and pepper to taste, and heat the mixture, stirring, until the radishes are heated through.
cloggingrandma photos
Posted: Jun/29/2008 11:51 AM PST

thanks txrose, I'll have to give your recipes a try.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account