Bookmark and Share

Page 1 of 1[1]

Eggplant Problem

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
Lesverts
Posted: Jun/18/2008 8:10 AM PST

My eggplant is getting eating by some bugs (which I am not sure). What are some good and preferably natural ways to stop the insects from ruining my eggplant?
stereoman blog photos
Posted: Jun/18/2008 11:39 AM PST

In my experience, Les, it's natural for eggplant leaves to age a bit less than gracefully, and the trick to successful eggplant is to make them grow fast! Even if you use warp-seven-power nitro reverb high-kick super anti-bug juice to keep the pests at bay, an unhappy eggplant will not bear fruit.

Having said that. What kind of bug damage have you got?
Lesverts
Posted: Jun/19/2008 8:06 AM PST

The leaves are looking like lace, and there is small black insects on the bottom of the leaf. My eggplant has been growing really well, it went from 3 leaves to 17 in 2 to 3 weeks.

I have looked around and it seems that the insects are flee beetles.
stereoman blog photos
Posted: Jun/19/2008 11:08 AM PST

Yep, flea beetles sounds like what you've got. Your eggplants are growing well indeed. I'm surprised you don't have flea beetle problems on any of your other plants. You've got quite an infestation if they're reducing all those new leaves to lace that quickly.

The two most effective remedies I know of for flea beetles are insecticidal soaps and diatomaceous earth. There's been quite a few conversations here lately about soaps - making your own, who to buy from, etc. The only warning I would pass on about dait. earth is be careful who you buy it from. It looks, feels, and smells just like talcum powder, which invites counterfeiting.
Lesverts
Posted: Jun/19/2008 7:40 PM PST

I got a natural insecticide from a local nursery.

None of my other plants of the problem, I have broccoli, beans, radishes, zucchini, tomatoes and peppers and nothing. There is insect damage but nothing that is uncommon. Its just the eggplant (and I am only growing 1 eggplant this year to see how it grows).
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account