Page 1 of 1[1]

Is this posion sumac?

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
DomesticLaura photos
Posted: Jun/11/2008 8:30 AM PST

I have a bunch of these plants on the edge of my woods. Is it posion sumac (Toxicodendron vernix (L.) Kuntze)? I'm highly allergic to posion ivy so I need to stay away from it if it is posion sumac. How do I get rid of it since I can't pull it out myself?

Attachments:

DomesticLaura photos
Posted: Jun/11/2008 8:39 AM PST

Looking further at the USDA plant ID site, I think it may look more like this picture of the "smooth sumac" (Rhus glabra L. ) What do you all think?

Other than touching it and seeing if I get a rash, is there a way to find out if it's the posion sumac or non-posion?

Attachments:

told2b blog photos
Posted: Jun/11/2008 9:40 AM PST

In Poison Sumac (Toxicodendron vernix) the stalk of the pinnately compound leaf (rachis) is red and should be easy to spot from a distance.

Could be Smooth Sumac (Rhus glabra) or Tree-of-heaven (Ailanthus altissima).
MamaBearBSA photos
Posted: Jun/11/2008 12:10 PM PST

To be safe either way, there is a product you can get at any pharmacy that you put on like sunscreen, before exposure, and prevents poison ivy etc. break outs. I have a Boy Scout in our troop that has to use it year round when going on a campout.
Aurora blog photos
Posted: Jun/12/2008 2:13 PM PST

No, I don't think that's a poison sumac. I have one growing right against my foundation, and the stems are red. This is one plant I'm going to use Round-Up on
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account