Page 1 of 1[1]

What kind of fruit tree is this?

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
blink blog photos
Posted: Jun/03/2008 6:27 PM PST

Discovered a few of these fruits growing on a tree in my backyard... my first guess was that they were pears, but i don't think they are. Anyone know?

Attachments:

sweetlebee blog photos
Posted: Jun/03/2008 7:16 PM PST

How about Asian pears?
blink blog photos
Posted: Jun/03/2008 7:28 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by sweetlebee
How about Asian pears?

i had actually considered that as well... but if you look at the middle of the picture that trunk is the trunk for the tree growing these and it is quite barky compared to all the asian pear tree pictures i saw that all seem to have a whiter colored trunk.
Aurora blog photos
Posted: Jun/04/2008 6:12 AM PST

Looks a lot like the common pear tree we had. It had the same rough bark, and the fruits look the same. They taste really good
txrose blog photos
Posted: Jun/04/2008 9:57 AM PST

quince...and if it is I wish I had a cutting from it or seeds... I have japanese quince beautiful red flowers then little tiny inny whinny itty bitty fruit..which looks like it has rust on some of them!!
But yours looks like what others say they make jelly out of and many other things. google it then click on images and compare.
Oh yeah did you see flowers before the fruit..if so what color ? If you can cut a fruit and let us see the seeds and pith of it lol sounds crazy but hey it helps figure out what fruit it is lol maybe a pineapple quince?

Attachments:

blink blog photos
Posted: Jun/04/2008 12:29 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by txrose
quince...and if it is I wish I had a cutting from it or seeds... I have japanese quince beautiful red flowers then little tiny inny whinny itty bitty fruit..which looks like it has rust on some of them!!
But yours looks like what others say they make jelly out of and many other things. google it then click on images and compare.
Oh yeah did you see flowers before the fruit..if so what color ? If you can cut a fruit and let us see the seeds and pith of it lol sounds crazy but hey it helps figure out what fruit it is lol maybe a pineapple quince?

i looked "quince" up on google images and that is what the tree is... wow. i haven't never even heard of it.

as for seeing the flowers, i haven't really ever gone into the backyard.

the crazy thing is that there is so few fruits on the tree.
txrose blog photos
Posted: Jun/04/2008 8:48 PM PST

At least you have some. I never heard of quince before I put a photo on here either. Some people on here told me what mine was a japanese one that blooms red flowers first and is really pretty to look at I'll see if I have a photo to show you...they say I too can make jelly out of the fruit but I think mine may have a "fungus" or what they call "rust" since I am not sure and I never ate quince before I'll wait lol maybe I'll get one like yours...when I first moved here there were plenty of plants but they produced very little now that I have been working the gardens and turning soil over everything even the grass looks much much better.
So hopefully when you learn more about the Quince you can try your hand at making your's more productive and making some jelly or other goodies I'm gonna look for that pic of mine....
It snowed for a second (just one) this year..lol in march!!the red bushes I had trimmed from 5ft tall to around 3ft...I didn't know what they were at the time.Right now they are taller and green with little fruits on them.

Attachments:

Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account