Page 1 of 3[123 Last

How to keep birds, squirrels, & other animals out of my veggie & fruit garden?

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
rattyvonratkins photos
Posted: Jun/01/2008 2:28 PM PST

I have some netting covering my bean sprouts and other veggie seedlings while they are growing in tiny peat pots, but I need to transplant them to the garden ASAP. How can keep birds and other animals from eating my sprouts once the plants are out in the open? If you have advice, please let me know or even show me pictures of how you fenced off your garden to keep animals out. Thanks!!
mcmartian
Posted: Jun/02/2008 7:11 AM PST

well the answer totally depends on where you are.

When I lived in a development I decided it wasn't worth trying to keep the animals out. The netting and stakes taht kept the deer and birds out also made it very difficult for me to harvest my crop and made me decide not to bother to weed (since i had to take the net off to access the crop and the cucumbers liked to grab the net).

if you're out in the countryside and have room to make a fenced in area that might be your best bet. but some animals still burrow under the ground or jump over and in.

sometimes chimes and shiny/noisy things scare away the birds.

If you can tell us specifically which animals you're worried about that would help. I've never seen squirrels be a problem to the garden though.
witt blog photos
Posted: Jun/02/2008 8:35 AM PST

We have a fenced-in garden to keep out the bigger varmints, but that doesn't help much with squirrels and birds. To keep out the birds, we ran string from post to post and then hung shiny, aluminum pie plates, which clanged in the breeze and cast sunshine streaks everywhere. It worked pretty well.
biyu_wolf_77 blog photos
Posted: Jun/02/2008 12:26 PM PST

anyone have suggestions fer cats an pots?? (our neighbors have an outdoor cat an my mom thinks thats whats diggin our pots occasionally i see it dosent dig where there are PLENTY of plants only open spaces like our peppers or that)
stereoman blog photos
Posted: Jun/02/2008 6:28 PM PST

Dunno about cats and pots. Never had a problem with pots. Oh, you meant . . . never mind.

Yeah pie plates are great. Wind chimes, awesome! Someone was discussing the other day, putting wind chimes in the garden on shepherd's hooks. GG people come up with the greatest ideas!
biyu_wolf_77 blog photos
Posted: Jun/03/2008 6:43 AM PST

uhh WHAT??? an seems only open spaces id say fill them in but with peppers an that kinda hard
mcmartian
Posted: Jun/03/2008 2:56 PM PST

Cats usually hate citrus. I say usually because I have one that actually loves it (we have 5 cats). All cats are supposed to hate it though.

I'd put some orange or grapefruit peals on the top of the pots.

Most animals don't like cyanne pepper and other hot peppers. But sometimes they're not to smart and it takes them awhile to figure out it out. I've bought cyanne pepper at sams club and poured it on plants every day for 2 weeks before a groundhog got the message.
rattyvonratkins photos
Posted: Jun/03/2008 5:35 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by biyu_wolf_77
uhh WHAT??? an seems only open spaces id say fill them in but with peppers an that kinda hard

uhhh. that made no sense, please try again
biyu_wolf_77 blog photos
Posted: Jun/03/2008 9:13 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by rattyvonratkins
Quote:
Originally posted by biyu_wolf_77

uhhh. that made no sense, please try again

ok pot 1 18" has 3 tomatoes and acouple mint sprigs in it pot 2 18" agin has 10-11 herbs in it and has verry little space free where pot 1 it like all space pot 1 WILL be dug in pot 2 WONT its just the nature to whatever it is attackin our pots if pot 1 had peppers insteada tomatoes itd STILL get attacked

that help?? outherwise i could attach pics with the pots that were attacked in 1 reply an ones that werent in another(ive cleaned the wreakage best i could more moved soil then not)
damethod blog photos
Posted: Jun/17/2008 8:46 AM PST

Biyu, you seem like a real nice guy. I'm going to try and tell you this without coming across as a jerk.

It's a little difficult to decipher your messages sometimes. I haven't said anything up to now because I prefer not to correct peoples grammar and/or spelling on a public forum. My grammar, spelling, and grasp of gardening terminology is by no means perfect..but, through trial and error, one can only get better.

Try seperating your ideas with periods. Anytime you finish an idea, put a period. Otherwise, most people will not understand what you are trying to say. The times that I do understand, it takes me a while to figure out what it is your trying to say. So, observe how others type their messages and try and do the same. It can only help you.

Hope I didn't come across as being rude.
Page 1 of 3[123 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account