Page 1 of 2[12 Last

Can a Green house be moved?

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
Fedupofweeds
Posted: May/21/2008 5:31 AM PST

I met my greenhouse where I am now and the problem is the flooring. It is just a bunch of stone tiles and sand and gravel, plent of it and a heck of a mess. I cleaned it out on the wekend and was shocked to see the debris that was there, it had never been vacated before until last sat. So my question is this, do I move the already built greenhouse to another location or leave it ther and try to repair the floor which is no floor at all? Waht is the best thing to put for a flooring in an area that is onyl sand it seems?
carolyncat353 blog photos
Posted: Jul/08/2008 6:46 AM PST

This is not a prompt reply to your post, but, without moving the greenhouse, I would use stepping stones laid next to each other as a floor (I did that when I had a green house)with pea gravel under the shelves and in between the pavers. It worked well for me.
Fedupofweeds
Posted: Jul/09/2008 3:59 AM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by carolyncat353
This is not a prompt reply to your post, but, without moving the greenhouse, I would use stepping stones laid next to each other as a floor (I did that when I had a green house)with pea gravel under the shelves and in between the pavers. It worked well for me.

No problem I have not been online ina while. Do you have pics of what you did?
lissalanae21 blog photos
Posted: Jul/09/2008 11:01 AM PST

Last summer we helped a frined with her greenhouse and she did somthing kind of unique. She cleaned the area as well as she could and then laid down that black roofing tarp (the kind you use under shingles) as a weed barier and then used crushed gravel. She bought a couple truck loads and we raked it out to cover the floor. it was about half a marble size and worked great. I looked pretty too. It cost about 40 dollars a load . it takes a few weeks for the gravel to settel in so its dosent shift much but it is a pretty cheap answer to the problem.
Fedupofweeds
Posted: Jul/10/2008 3:29 AM PST

that is a brilliant idea, I had never thought of the tarp. We will definitely do this thanks so much
Posted: Jul/10/2008 6:13 AM PST

Sorry, I don't have any pics of that greenhouse. I had one when I was married, and I've been divorced about 14 years, and have since moved from there. The green house finally rotted down before I moved, though. The roofing felt idea is a good one, but you do have to cover it with something, and possibly poke a few holes so it won't hold too much water.
lissalanae21 blog photos
Posted: Jul/10/2008 12:47 PM PST

Well i dont remember if there was a water retention problem but i will ask so you know. I think the water tends to run between where the tarp overlaped but if its going to be wet more then dry i am not sure i will call today and get back to you.
Fedupofweeds
Posted: Jul/11/2008 3:25 AM PST

There is not wa for water to get into my green house. First off it is elevated, second it is commerciall made green house with heavy duty plexi glass made especially for green houses, and very thick and double insulated. It is totally sealed once closed top and bottom, so I dont see where water will come in. We have had torrential storms here and I hvae never seen a drop on water inside, so it should work just fine. I have contacted a construction company to bring me five tons of gravel I hope that is enough. The only problem I see is the moss that grows on the outsdie but that is easily cleaned with vinegar. When you say the tarp you meen the black tar like thing that is used on some roof tops? Can something else be used?
Posted: Jul/11/2008 4:55 AM PST

It sounds very well made, since rain water can't get inside, but you will have to water the plants, won't you? I;m used to soggy weather, and poor drainage, so maybe you won't have that problem.
lissalanae21 blog photos
Posted: Jul/11/2008 11:49 AM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by Fedupofweeds
There is not wa for water to get into my green house. First off it is elevated, second it is commerciall made green house with heavy duty plexi glass made especially for green houses, and very thick and double insulated. It is totally sealed once closed top and bottom, so I dont see where water will come in. We have had torrential storms here and I hvae never seen a drop on water inside, so it should work just fine. I have contacted a construction company to bring me five tons of gravel I hope that is enough. The only problem I see is the moss that grows on the outsdie but that is easily cleaned with vinegar. When you say the tarp you meen the black tar like thing that is used on some roof tops? Can something else be used?
Yes thats what we used but i dont see why plain old weed barrier cant be used or anything that will alow water through but not weeds. We used it because there was a ton of it left over after we had our roof redone. I asked and she said when she waters she never has any draining issues. water filters down through the rocks and tarp and naturaly runs off if there is too much. Landscaping Fabric is a really good option because it come in 5, 10, and 20 year weed free garentee. I think its your best best. You can get it at Lowes, Home Depot, Atwoods, and sometimes walmart will carry it. I hope this helps you.
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account