Why do my clothes smell musty coming out of the dryer??

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
chattycarnation blog photos
Posted: May/20/2008 6:11 AM PST

Where is the water being pumped out to? Is there anyway some of it is backing up into the washer? Is it being pumped into a septic tank? If so you cannot use bleach, it will kill the bacteria and will cause the septic tank to function properly.

Have you tried changing detergents? Are you on well water or city water?
karslinky blog photos
Posted: May/20/2008 10:38 AM PST

City water, drainage into city sewer system - I found some water dripping this morning from the center agitator - so maybe water is collecting and sitting there? I think maybe time for anew washer !!! (Secretly,,,YIPPEE!)
lilmac442 blog photos
Posted: May/20/2008 4:23 PM PST

Also check your dryers vent. Sometimes it can get clogged with lint and because it also exhausts moisture, it can get very musty. It is also a very serious fire hazard. This may not be the problem, but I would check the vent where it exits the house, as well as the entire length of the duct- taking it apart where it exits the dryer....just to be safe.
karslinky blog photos
Posted: May/20/2008 5:47 PM PST

i did check the vent hose - all clear. I'm freaky about fires!
chattycarnation blog photos
Posted: May/20/2008 11:13 PM PST

One of my friends had a dryer catch fire several years ago.. they said it was lint buildup down past where the dryer screen was. So now twice a year I try to make time to pull the dryer out and take the back off and clean mine out. You would be surprised at the lint..and how it collects on things.
poeticpeony blog photos
Posted: May/21/2008 10:58 AM PST

I was going to suggest the lint hose, too. When my son was rooming with some other sailors they said it would take 2 or 3 hours for their jeans to dry. So I went outside and checked the outside end of the vent and it was clogged almost shut. They fixed that and it worked like a charm.

Give your clothes a sniff when they come out of the wash and see if you have the odor there. It sounds like you might have a problem with your washer if it's leaking though. Before you go out and get a new one there's a great website with DIY appliance stuff. Hubby used it to fix our washer and the dryer. http://fixitnow.com/ It's the samurai appliance repair so don't let the name through you.
palmettogal blog photos
Posted: May/21/2008 11:03 AM PST

Good point chattycarnation! Because of the exact same scenario my husband pulled the back off of our dryer and did the same thing this past year. I was shocked at just how much thick, compressed lint buildup there was in there that had to be cleaned out.
maggieevans photos
Posted: May/21/2008 9:06 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by karslinky
regarding ammonia and bleach - it's toxic fumes - almost killed myself cleaning the bathroom once as a kid!

The exact same thing happened to me to and I was also young. Since then I have never bought ammonia again for anything. If bleach and vinegar doesn't do the job then it won't get done.
karslinky blog photos
Posted: May/22/2008 7:18 AM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by poeticpeony
I was going to suggest the lint hose, too. When my son was rooming with some other sailors they said it would take 2 or 3 hours for their jeans to dry. So I went outside and checked the outside end of the vent and it was clogged almost shut. They fixed that and it worked like a charm.

Give your clothes a sniff when they come out of the wash and see if you have the odor there. It sounds like you might have a problem with your washer if it's leaking though. Before you go out and get a new one there's a great website with DIY appliance stuff. Hubby used it to fix our washer and the dryer. http://fixitnow.com/ It's the samurai appliance repair so don't let the name through you.

Thanks for the website - I'll check it out. What's peculiar is that I get a musty odor when I am removing clothes from the wash, but not fro the closthes so much themselves...if I put my head in the wash it doesn't smell, so I am wondering if there isn't some wad of junk stuck somewhere getting rancid...Maybe I can find out how to remove the agitator and check that out. Will also be sure the discharge hose is not clogged...
Thanks again everyone!!
mbvirtue blog photos
Posted: May/22/2008 7:45 AM PST

When you get it figured out, let me know, eh? I've had that same exact issue for almost 6 months now. When I'm taking the clothes out of the washer is when I smell it, the clothes dry without any smell on them, and don't smell coming out of the wash. I'm pretty sure it's something stuck down under the wash tub, but just haven't had the time or the know-how to fix it. 'Sides, the bathroom fan's still in pieces on the counter, that comes first...
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account