Page 1 of 1[1]

Can Hypericum androsaemum "Albury purple" be grown in containers?

Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
Briarwoods photos
Posted: May/13/2008 8:47 AM PST

I'm in zone 6 and wanted to know if Albury Purple St. John's wort would be good to grow in a container and then put back in the garden in September? It's a tiny little thing that must be the baby of my original plant and I'm afraid it will be crushed by critters if it stays in the garden.
sweetlebee blog photos
Posted: May/13/2008 11:23 AM PST

Hi Briar! Long time no see!

I have 'Albury Purple'. They're very adaptable to different soil and sun/shade conditions so I don't think you'd have any problems with it. I haven't gotten a seedling off mine yet though my other one called 'Glacier' gives me a few new babies every year. Last year I put one in a pot for most of the summer and planted it last fall. It's about 16 inches tall now.
Briarwoods photos
Posted: May/13/2008 12:32 PM PST

Nice to "see" you again too! LOL

I have a question for you regarding Albury purple. When I got mine, it was a small shrub. That was 2 years ago. Last year, it's never came back to the size it was when I got it. Could it be that not all roots survived through my winters?
sweetlebee blog photos
Posted: May/13/2008 1:57 PM PST

I always thought they weren't hardy in your zone. It's never gotten as big as my 'Glacier', which has grown to be 3 feet tall. I got both as a small start and put 'Albury' in poor soil under a tree where it didn't grow much. I've moved it twice since then. This year it seems to be taking off but it's not as full as my 'Glacier'. So maybe yours needs a better location or better soil--it seems to prefer morning sun/afternoon shade.

You can cut them right down in fall or spring because the new growth has better color than the old. I left the old on Glacier last year and it didn't have nearly the variegation of before.
Briarwoods photos
Posted: May/13/2008 2:16 PM PST

I did move mine to another spot 2 weeks ago and it has grown about 1.5 inches..I guess that's a good sign right? When I purchased it, it was love at first sight!

When I looked the plant up, it did say it was hardy to zone 6 and it does die back to nothingness come winter.
sweetlebee blog photos
Posted: May/13/2008 6:03 PM PST

I love mine too! Last year I cut some of the fresh growth from Glacier to add to a flower arrangement and it looked really nice.
Aurora blog photos
Posted: May/14/2008 4:29 PM PST

One word-
PICTURES!!!
micnic
Posted: Jul/02/2013 2:21 PM PST

this was a long time ago.
I have an Albury Purple St. Johns Wort in VT zone 5. Though it dies back completely and never gets really very big I still love it.
Problem is i planted it behind the common St. J's wort that I must prune back heavily every year to keep it in check. It overwhelms the poor little Albury! I want to move it but and terrified that I will kill it. They are hard to find up here because they are on the edge of their zone. Any advice anyone???
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account