• All
  • Articles
  • Videos
  • Plants
Bookmark and Share

Poll

Do you think my flowers will eventually sprout despite being planted before the last frost?
Yes

66.67%4
No

0.00%0
Not sure

33.33%2
Who cares about your garden?

0.00%0
Page 1 of 1[1]

What happens if you plants flower seeds too early?

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
rattyvonratkins photos
Posted: May/10/2008 2:44 PM PST

I started my first backyard garden recently and afterwards I read that seeds should be planted after the last frost. Well, as my luck goes, I planted my seeds a few weeks ago and then there was a frost that same night... and the next night. I see no sprouts yet; could the frost have nipped the seeds in the bud? Will the frosts prevent anything from growing? I planted about 30 types of flower seeds- perennials and annuals like marigolds, foxglove, cosmos, morning glory, and a lot more. Thanks for your help/advice.
Aurora blog photos
Posted: May/10/2008 2:48 PM PST

The cosmos should sprout- my packet says to plant 2 weeks BEFORE the last frost date.
As for the others- I'm not sure. Most likely they will because they never actually sprouted before the frosts.
Please keep us updated on how they do!
rattyvonratkins photos
Posted: May/10/2008 6:01 PM PST

Thank you! I'll keep you posted.
sweetlebee blog photos
Posted: May/10/2008 6:06 PM PST

I'm pretty sure the frost won't hurt the seeds. A lot of people store their seeds in the refrigerator so I don't think this is much different. If they had sprouted they'd be goners.

A lot of seeds won't start to sprout until the soil warms so it can take longer than what the seed pack says. I wait until nights are in the high 40s before I do morning glories and cosmos, so that's about mid-May here.
MamaBearBSA photos
Posted: May/10/2008 7:06 PM PST

You should be fine. The frost will damage any new tender growth that was growing but you wouldn't have had any of that yet anyway. Just keep them moist and they will start popping up as they get the temps they like to sprout. Now if you see any growth and you suspect another frost cover everything with an old sheet or blanket and they should be ok.
witt blog photos
Posted: May/11/2008 6:22 AM PST

No, frost won't hurt the seeds, just the tender shoots that come up. If the soil doesn't warm up, though, sometimes some seeds will just rot in the ground if they stay too long before sprouting. Others don't mind the wait at all.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account