Page 1 of 2[12 Last

What to cover with frost tonight

Most Active Topic:
Member Message
karslinky blog photos
Posted: Apr/30/2008 5:53 PM PST

Probably too late to help me by the time people see this post, but I have perennial sage, daisies, peonies, snow-in-summer, cranesbill, ornamental grass, kniphofia, hostas, roses, tigerlilies, heuchera - which ones do I cover - I can't cover them all! I surely covered both roses, put a sheet over a bed of sedum, daisy, sage. I'm going to cover the beds that will look awful in the front yard if they take a hit - if I lose some plants in the back yard at least it isn't the first thing you see...I've never been so worried about my perennial beds before
MamaBearBSA photos
Posted: Apr/30/2008 7:00 PM PST

any perennial NOT in bloom will be fine with a frost. You only ned to wrry about a true freeze. We have had two frost already and I can't see any damage on any of my stuff.
EvonneStoryteller photos
Posted: Apr/30/2008 7:03 PM PST

I wish you luck! I took care of as much as I could. Last night we were expecting a frost, but everything looked really nice this morning. I hope that tonight will blow over too. I keep watching the weather hoping for one of those sudden changes.

I know in my area, we are expecting a freeze tonight. There is no way I can cover everything, but I am hiding my seedlings out of the greenhouse and down the cellar for this evening. The 33 flats are around my work out equipment. Only plants will be working out tonight at my house.

Attachments:

gardendude blog photos
Posted: Apr/30/2008 8:22 PM PST

Its really mostly annuals and tropicals that are particularly sensitive to frost and freeze. The vast majority of perennials are very frost hardy, hence why they come back every spring.
chattycarnation blog photos
Posted: May/01/2008 2:48 AM PST

I covered several things for the freeze we had this week. Last year my perennials took a hit and did not want that to happen again. I covered my roses, hardy hibiscus, hydrangea and ornamental lillies. I also covered some of the just blooming tulips.. the blooms I didnt think could take a hit of frost and freezing temps?
witt blog photos
Posted: May/01/2008 2:49 AM PST

You might get a little nip, but it probably won't kill them. Let us know how you fared.
bensmom98 blog photos
Posted: May/01/2008 3:47 AM PST

It most definately won't kill perennials, like MB and Witt and GardenDude said. You may have a few dead leaves and flowers, but their roots will be fine. They will send out new leaves.
EvonneStoryteller photos
Posted: May/01/2008 8:01 AM PST

Today I marched my 33 flats of seedlings back out into the greenhouse. The walk around the gardens indicate that everything looks just fine.

I did not hear the actual results of what happened last night in temperatures. Hopefully, everyone did as well as I did!
karslinky blog photos
Posted: May/01/2008 12:23 PM PST

I should have taken pics but my front yard looked lilke we had a sleep over! Towels and sheets everywhere! Everything looks good - some spiderwort leaves look mushy, but they grow like weeds anyway, so I don't care. PHEW!
sweetlebee blog photos
Posted: May/01/2008 1:07 PM PST

My perennials are up quite a bit and we had snow a few weeks ago. I thought it'd do in the hostas like it does in the fall, but it didn't hurt them a bit. My clematis and lilac were budding and weren't harmed at all.
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account