Page 1 of 1[1]

Grandpa's Camellia

Most Active Topic:
Member Message
gardendude blog photos
Posted: Apr/28/2008 5:51 PM PST

Took these pics when I visited my grandpa in Savannah. I can still remember when those Camellias where only about as high as my knee

Attachments:

SpringChicken photos
Posted: Apr/28/2008 9:00 PM PST

Absolutely gorgeous! We took a drive this evening around various neighborhoods, stalking people for gardening ideas LOL!, anyways, noticed everyone's camellias are blooming around here too. Most that I saw though weren't that big as they keep them pruned so as to not cover the front of their homes. I love your grandfather's camellias! I feel the same way about my Granny's forsythia everytime I drive by the old home place in spring and they are blooming. I remember when she planted them too.
witt blog photos
Posted: Apr/29/2008 7:46 AM PST

Ah, yes. That's what I like about the South. We grow some big camellias. Let me clarify that. Some people grow big camellias. I've had one for over 10 years, and I can't get it to grow or bloom. I've moved it, but she just isn't happy. I see neighbors' down the road and theirs are right out there in the hot, blazing sunshine, blooming away. My mom is a camellia nut. She went in for all the grafting, etc. She has a shady yard and camellias that just make you drool. Of course, she knows all the names, but the only one that I can recall is Professor Sargeant. hahaha. I never learned what I should have learned. Now she is beginning to forget the names.
Thanks for sharing those photos!
yardgranny6 blog photos
Posted: Apr/29/2008 11:21 AM PST

I too love the camellia family. My favorite because of its profuse blooming is the Sasanqua.
I got curious about the differences in the Sas and the common Camellia. So here is the info I found.

This is the shiny leaf common Camellia and they are so wonderful. I have several of them that have been in this yard for many, many years.
Family: Theaceae (tee-AY-see-ay) (Info)
Genus: Camellia (kuh-MEE-lee-a) (Info)
Species: japonica (juh-PON-ih-kuh) (Info)

This is the Sasanqua and I am looking for a beautiful pure red.
Family: Theaceae (tee-AY-see-ay) (Info)
Genus: Camellia (kuh-MEE-lee-a) (Info)
Species: sasanqua (suh-SAN-kwuh) (Info)

This info came from Daves Garden.
gardendude blog photos
Posted: Apr/29/2008 7:51 PM PST

I'm not sure what type of camellia my grandpa has, but they seem to hold up well in both sun and shade. He says he rarely has to water or fertilize them.
dirtdobber blog photos
Posted: Apr/30/2008 6:18 AM PST

I also love camellias. My mother had several beautiful ones. I have lots of cuttings from her garden that I am trying to root. Her favorite was "pink perfection". I like'm all. Love the way sasanquas bloom.
witt blog photos
Posted: May/01/2008 3:21 AM PST

Now that I look at the pictures more closely, they do look like sasanquas. The folks here have huge true camellias and I don't know how they do it in the blazing sun. I'll have to get a pic of my poor pitiful camellia and get some help!
Here's my sasanqua from last November.

Attachments:

pyoung blog photos
Posted: May/24/2008 5:49 AM PST

I purchased one on a trip back from Houston Texas with my father about a year before he died. I planted it and it died in the winter. I will have to try again. Just gotta figure out where to plant it.
My grand parents had some along the front fence of their house.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account