Page 1 of 3[123 Last

Morning Glories

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
Awsumhoss
Posted: Apr/28/2008 2:20 PM PST

Hello,
I planted Morning Glory seeds on each side of my bricked in mailbox, which is arched at the top. I am hoping to train the plants to climb up the brick and meet in the middle for a beautiful show of blooms. However, they are growing out away from the brick. How can I "help" them, is there something I can put over the brick to encourage them to go there?
Thanks! Kim~
HeavenlyBlue photos
Posted: Apr/28/2008 4:50 PM PST

Morning glories need some kind of "stakes" to twine their tendrils around and climb upwards. You can try putting some anchors in the ground and use twine that goes up to the top of your mail box. Ditto on the other side. I've also used speaker wire for more permanent "stakes" for morning glories. I split the speaker wire, which is plastic coated, and it last for years, supporting many years of new planting of morning glories. Your other option is to buy some kind of trellis that that they can climb on. Good luck.
MamaBearBSA photos
Posted: Apr/28/2008 8:27 PM PST

I have also used a heavy fishing line before and the plastic bird netting can be used too. It's like HeavenlyBlue said they need something the tendrils can wrap around to support them.
SpringChicken photos
Posted: Apr/28/2008 8:54 PM PST

Does anyone have a picture of a morning glory vine? I planted a bunch of seeds by a tree but as we live in the woods, we have all kinds of vines growing everywhere! I can't tell if my morning glories are growing or not. Don't really know what is what out there!
Awsumhoss
Posted: Apr/28/2008 9:56 PM PST

Thank you all for your help. I will try the speaker wire
Thanks again!!! Kim~
HeavenlyBlue photos
Posted: Apr/29/2008 4:38 AM PST

Here's a photo of my morning glories. I have since added a second trellis here, and the vines provide just enough of a privacy screen! They fill in quickly and bloom early and long. Love 'em.

Attachments:

witt blog photos
Posted: Apr/29/2008 6:26 AM PST

I'll try to go out and get a pic of mine, which are young. I'm having a heck of a time trying to train mine as well. Last year, I didn't succeed. Maybe this year I can keep them from rambling where I don't want them!
witt blog photos
Posted: Apr/29/2008 7:32 AM PST

Here's my morning glory babies. As you can see, I hope, that they are heart-shaped leaves. I have some sticks in the bed trying to get them to follow the way to the pole so that I can get them to grow upward.

Attachments:

Spider_Lily photos
Posted: Apr/29/2008 12:32 PM PST

I grew some over my swing last summer I used a wire mesh just any thing they can attach to.The onlt thing I didn,t about morning glories was they close to early about 9.30 am and all you have is vine till the next day.But they do have beautiful flowers.
dirtdobber blog photos
Posted: Apr/29/2008 4:41 PM PST

Love, love, love your morning glories! Heavenly blue is my favorite. Great picture. Thanks
Page 1 of 3[123 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account