Page 1 of 2[12 Last

Invasive vines

Most Active Topic:
Member Message
ScoopPC11 blog photos
Posted: Apr/27/2008 2:53 PM PST

When we bought our house, the inspector told us there were two vines that we would have to get rid off because they were invasive. The more invasive of the two (it was interfering with the side entrance into our house) I managed to uproot last weekend, although I have a feeling that it may come back because I know I left some underground because the root seem to go deeper than I could possibly dig to get it out (hubby said just keep cutting it back until it eventually dies on its own). The other one doesn't seem as invasive to me so I am just going to keep it there for now.

When it comes time to remove the second vine, what are some easier strategies to get rid of it if I find it is also deeper into the ground than I thought it would be?
SmittB14 photos
Posted: Apr/27/2008 4:26 PM PST

Dig up the entire plot if you want to go to extremes...Otherwise you've just gotta keep cutting it back and uprooting it. Assuming its Periwinkle its going to be a long fight. Just make sure it doesn't start digging into the siding of the house or killing any plants you may have nearby.

Persistence is key.
Aurora blog photos
Posted: Apr/27/2008 6:16 PM PST

What kind of vines are they?

Some, like Japanese honeysuckle, will just get even more growth when cut back/dug up. They actually need to be treated with some sort of herbicide. I'll try to find the link for you tomorrow, it has lots of good info on all sorts of invasive plants.
Others will take persistance. It may take years until they are gone. Many, like trumpet creeper, can be kept in check by regular mowing/ cutting.

I have both of the named invasive in my yard. The honeysuckle grows on one fence and into a tree and HUGE privets (I'll take pics when it's in bloom) and the trumpet creeper is on another fence. I cut it out of the trees all the time (These are trees I care about)
SpringChicken photos
Posted: Apr/27/2008 9:00 PM PST

I just bought a trumpet vine and planted it by an ugly, unsightly utility pole. Did I mess up? Will it grow up into the power lines? If so, I'll have to move it quick!
Aurora blog photos
Posted: Apr/28/2008 6:25 AM PST

I don't know spring chicken. If it starts getting high then you can always prune it back down. Don't be afraid to prune it hard either, it'll come back

To keep it from spreading, remove the seed pods before they ripen.

The hummingbirds and bees will love you for planting it. Unfortunately so will the Japanese Beetles.

I used to not have too much trouble with mine growing where I didn't want it, until Hurricane Isabelle blew the whole mess off the side of the shed. Then I started getting it EVERYWHERE
Dizzy45vines blog photos
Posted: Apr/30/2008 9:07 AM PST

If your invasive vine is a trumpet vine or campsis radicans or even a Wisteria vine, dig it up yes but also use a root killer on it or will come back for many years. you have to protect your house's foundation. Or you can also try a heavy solution of salt and water..my favorite way..

do you know the names or could you take a picture for IDentification?

Carol
Dizzy45vines blog photos
Posted: Apr/30/2008 9:08 AM PST

they grow up and on anything!!

Carol
Aurora blog photos
Posted: Apr/30/2008 10:20 AM PST

I'll maybe try the salt on my Japanese Honeysuckle sometime, when I'm ready for all out battle
Right now it's a battle between the honeysuckle and trumpet creeper along that fence. I rather curious to see which will win
ScoopPC11 blog photos
Posted: Apr/30/2008 5:30 PM PST

Sorry I'm just getting back now...started a new job and haven't had a chance to check in as much as I like.

I'm not sure what type they are. I know that it was rather "woody" (kind of a light brown bark on the surface). It was far enough away from the house that it might not have gone after the foundation, but it was just a bit of a nuisance because it had wound its way around my side stairway. The other vine isn't as bad and is in the backyard. I will tyr to get some pictures the first chance I get.
Aurora blog photos
Posted: Apr/30/2008 6:13 PM PST

Did the "woody" one get purple or white flowers on it? If so then it's probably wisteria. If it hasn't bloomed yet it might be trumpet creeper. Either one may cause problems.
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account