Page 1 of 3[123 Last

trouble with water hycinth and thinking of adding a small fountain

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
blueeyez_10 photos
Posted: Apr/24/2008 1:31 PM PST

I just started working on a water garden in my mother's backyard. I'm turning an inground swimming pool into a pond. The pool hasn't been used in 2 years and we just basically shut all the pool pumps off. I added lots of water plants like water hycinths, parrot feathers, hog wart, lily pads, and a few other plants. I added all the plants so they could naturally filter and clarify the water just like in mother nature. I've read that it's called a ecosystem style pond. It seems to be working because you can see the fish swimming. One problem that I'm having is that my water hycinth's are turning a pale yellow. The other thing is that I'm thinking about adding a small fountain in the shallow end of the pool. I want something simple like one of the laguna pumps that you put in the pool and just plug it up. Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts that might help? Thanks blueeyez
LilyCrazy blog photos
Posted: Jun/05/2008 1:38 PM PST

Wow, a pond in an inground pool ?? I'd LOVE to have something that big !!!! Wow... What do you set all your plants on to keep them the right heights ? You could go with a fountain pump but again, you'd have to have something for it to sit on so it can project the water high enough. You will have BIG gorgeous fish !!!
Aurora blog photos
Posted: Jun/09/2008 10:46 AM PST

First- I would keep the pool filter running to help keep the water moving and oxygenated. The fountain will help, but all ponds need some sort of filter.
Second- there probably aren't enough nutrients in the water yet for the plants to utilize- you may need to add aquatic plant fertilizer until the ecosystem balances out (bacteria breaking down the fish and plant waste into nitrates that the plants can use) In a pond the size of an inground pool that may take a long time. That's probably why the hyacinth are doing so well. BTW- water hyacinth can be very invasive and can take over the whole shebang when happy.
As for the fountain- why not pop in one of those solar-powered fountains that float around? Even a few of them

Please post pics- I really want to see it

Edit to add:
Just saw your pics- awesome!
I would plant some cattails and water iris for height, and actually remove about 1/3 of the floaters, and add water lillies. You'll be able to see the fish easier.
blueeyez_10 photos
Posted: Jun/09/2008 2:29 PM PST

I put some new photos that were taken a couple of weeks ago. The fish are still doing great and are getting friendly. We lost one of the bass because he jumped out of the pond to catch a bug. The water hyacinths are still about the same. We did add some liquid iron and it's helped but it gives you major algea bloom. The parrot feathers seemed to wilt with the heat. My mother has been adding newer stuff since the lastest pictures. I will try to get some newer pictures soon. As you can see from the pictures we did add a fountain. I tried the solar fountains and it only worked for a few days and then stopped. That is it for now. Thanks for your suggestions.
stereoman blog photos
Posted: Jun/09/2008 3:50 PM PST

COOL!
wross photos
Posted: Jun/10/2008 3:28 PM PST

Holy Cow am I impressed. I have been playing ponds for about 4 or 5 years but nothing that size. You also have native fish, mine are all ornamental (goldfish family)...you are brave. As for plants Eric is right you may want to see if there is some way to establish some marginals (Native iris, known as yellow flag, cat tails, lotus would be good because they are very large). Many of those plants are winter hardy to zone 5 (except the Lotus). I have always used some sort of filtration, UV or filter floss, it helps with the algae bloom. Good luck I am envious! By the way you might want to check out http://texaswaterlilies.com/ they have great Lotus plants.

Attachments:

lissalanae21 blog photos
Posted: Jun/21/2008 12:47 PM PST

I have had a water garden at my dads now for 10 years and all i can say is avoid penny wart. It will clog filters kill other plants and take over. Its much eaiser to get rid of water lettuce or hyacinth. Both will get out of control if you dont keep a eye on them but they can be netted and given to a friend or added to compost heap. Sme types of fish also will nibble the roots of waterplants like lilies.We had to remove large koi over 16 inches to prevent them from killing our lilies.
wross photos
Posted: Jun/28/2008 3:57 PM PST

Most of my ponds have goldfish. My children just talked me into 2 SMALL koi. I know that koi DON'T stay small. My water lilies are in pots and I cover the soil with med to larger size river rock up to the base of the plant. The river rocks prevent the koi from getting to the roots because the stones are too big for the koi to move. So far that has been successful (knock on wood!).
stereoman blog photos
Posted: Jun/28/2008 4:06 PM PST

I've always heard that your koi will only get as large as your pond will allow for. I had some koi a few years back that never got bigger than about 6 inches.
wross photos
Posted: Jun/28/2008 5:22 PM PST

Stereoman
You have just made me very happy!! I am hoping that they will stay on the smallish size. Thanks! Do you have a fish pond? If so could you share some pics.

Page 1 of 3[123 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account