Poll

How many of us GG gardeners work full time?
Retired

8.77%5
Work part-time

8.77%5
Work in the home

14.04%8
Work full time

68.42%39
Page 1 of 3[123 Last

How many of us GG gardeners work full time?

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
karslinky blog photos
Posted: Apr/24/2008 8:38 AM PST

I feel like I never have enough time to tend to my gardens and have backed off my veggie garden plans for this year because I don't have time to harvest and lots of stuff gets wasted. Just wanted to bemoan the fact that I'm a working stiff and can't just play in my gardens all day!
justme photos
Posted: Apr/24/2008 10:00 AM PST

Same here, I work full time M - F 8:00am -4:30pm. My hubby lost his job so he has had a lot of time to do the things durning the day that I wish I could. We also babysit our 3yr old grandson some days, nights and most weekends. It would be so nice to be able to garden most all day, but got to pay the bills somehow.
southeastsandy blog photos
Posted: Apr/24/2008 11:40 AM PST

I don't think I'll ever be able to retire, but that's okay. I'm looking forward to bagging grocerys at the local grocery stores and inspecting everyone's purchases.
stereoman blog photos
Posted: Apr/24/2008 6:48 PM PST

Where's the choice that says "work full time at home"? Heck, how about "self-employed and slave from sunup to deepest night"?

Y'all know me better than that, eh? I take time outs from my (endless) work to post on my favorite garden forum.

A long-time colleague and my last remaining "competition" (though we've cooperated more than competed, over the years) stopped by the other day to tell me he was closing his shop and taking a "real" job. I'm a little scared of what might happen.
txrose blog photos
Posted: Apr/24/2008 7:24 PM PST

That's kinda sad stereo, there is no job that is more Real than your own business.
I am a HairStylist work full time and I am remodeling my cottage to make my own salon out my side door. Save money , save gas, mileage and time. I really work p/t hours at my "job" and then 3 days on my own work cut hair at home too, and trying to get the land in shape to be self supporting. God willing and the creek don't rise.
Rashell blog photos
Posted: Apr/24/2008 10:15 PM PST

I couldn't vote 'cause I now work full time, I work weird hours though. Not the "normal" hours. I work from home a lot of the time and the office but don't have as much time as I use to for my garden.
SpringChicken photos
Posted: Apr/25/2008 10:28 PM PST

I am a full time work-at-home mom of 4. I work all night on my "paying" job as an at home medical transcriptionist (I've truly been blessed.) Then I have my "other" jobs as Mom, wife, housekeeper, bill payer, etc., etc. Until two months ago I worked in a jail cell (office) for 9 hours a day and commuted 2 hours a day. There was absolutely no time for gardening except for a few choice container plants. Now that I am home I "piddle" in the yard all day and am completely loving it!!! Not only am I physically, mentally, and emotionally more available for my family now, but I also have time for my ownself doing the 2 things I love best: gardening and GG! I chose this occupation for the sole reason that I knew it would allow me to work in the home. Prior to this job, I went to school and prior to that I slaved away in a rug mill for 8-10 hours a day, 7 days a week. I missed so much of my childrens' early years that I vowed I would find a way to be home with them. Thus, when the company I worked for went bankrupt I was offered the opportunity to go to school on government grants for new training. I jumped on it! That was the window of opportunity I had been longing for! I finished a two year degree in 4 semesters, taking 6-7 classes at a time. It took me a few months to land a job in this field and then a couple of years "doing my time" in the office, but now I am home at last and ALL of my prayers have been answered. I totally sympathize with everyone out there slaving away at the old grind mill day after day. To all of you, I say keep dreaming for better opportunities and jump on them when they arise!
karslinky blog photos
Posted: Apr/26/2008 3:47 AM PST

Good foryou springchicken in finding a way to keep your sanity! I am reminded every day that we need to keep our priorities straight, and we are NOT just our jobs!!
chattycarnation blog photos
Posted: Apr/26/2008 2:00 PM PST

I worked in a factory for 20 years, raising my girls and planted HUGE veggie gardens every year. Canned more than 200 quarts of greenbeans every season in addition to all the other things we grew. As time went on I just could not keep up with everything. Hardly any flowers in the yard when the kids were little. Then I had a head injury and was no longer able to go out to a ''real'' job or to drive a car anymore. I don't cook when I am at home alone either.. I might forget the stove is on. It has been over 16 years since I have been able to drive due to that injury.

Now I have a home based business that has helped with the bills since my poor DH has had so many health issues and has been unable to work. I can do almost everything from home. I thank God for this precious opportunity and the fact that I can help other people as well. My husband worked at the same place for 42 years.. and it has been sold so many times there is NO RETIREMENT.. so what are loyal employees supposed to do for crying out loud? Insurance is a great concern for people and without it, we would definately be bankrupt! I feel bad for the small business owners.. I give them all kudos for doing what they do.. and I try to support the small business owner before I go to a large corporate store.
stereoman blog photos
Posted: Apr/26/2008 3:40 PM PST

My work has changed so much in the last decade due to all the changes in technology, and I've really had to diversify to make a living. Used to be I could just do repairs and make pretty decent money, but those days are gone. Why repair your old stereo when you can just throw it away and get a new one?

I used to run an ad that started with that question. Underneath it said "Because there is no away". Truly, a lot of my favorite clients would rather spend fifty bucks getting something repaired than 30 bucks getting a new one. Heck I even fixed a food processor for one of my good clients. (StereoMan has no pride)

I keep thinking with the plummeting value of the dollar, pretty soon China's going to abandon it and suddenly their products won't be so cheap any more. In the meantime, I learned how to do home theaters and a few computer services, to sustain my fixing habit.

I'm so fortunate that my Beloved landed a job last year that provides some serious benefits, including health insurance. I went to a doctor for the first time in 25 years recently. Retirement? Hah! Not in the cards for me.
Page 1 of 3[123 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account